Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Running couplings

1. Aug 14, 2008 #1
    Hi there!

I'm struggling a bit with running couplings. Srednicki introduces dimensional regularization and the [itex]\overline{\mathrm{MS}}[/itex] scheme, then calculates a squared transition amplitude for some reaction in [itex]\varphi^3[/itex] theory. Eventually, he calculates the beta function for the coupling and solves the renormalization group equation. Clear so far.

In the transition amplitude, a factor [itex]\ln(s/\mu^2)[/itex] occurs, where [itex]s[/itex] is a Mandelstam variable and [itex]\mu[/itex] is the factor arising from dimensional regularization. Now he says, to avoid large logarithms, we should put [itex]\mu^2 \sim s[/itex] (which we can do since physics must be independent of [itex]\mu[/itex]). Then, according to the beta function, the coupling runs with the involved momenta, the well-known behavior.

Now, [itex]\mu^2 \sim s[/itex] certainly is a convenient choice, but what if I choose [itex]\mu[/itex] to be constant (or something else), which I am free to do? Then, the coupling doesn't run at all. It seems to me that the running coupling is just a way of viewing things (here in particular by using the [itex]\overline{\mathrm{MS}}[/itex] scheme and [itex]\mu^2 \sim s[/itex])?

Another quick question: I read everywhere that renormalization is related to the behavior of the theory at small distances/large momenta. How are small distances and large momenta related? And what has renormalization to do with it?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2008 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Correct. If you use a fixed [itex]\mu[/itex], then the coupling doesn't run. The expansion parameter governing perturbation theory then appears to be [itex]\alpha(\mu)\ln(s/\mu^2)[/itex], and if this is large, perturbation theory breaks down. The advantage of using the running coupling is that we see that the expansion parameter is really [itex]\alpha(s^{1/2})[/itex], which might be small even if [itex]\alpha(\mu)\ln(s/\mu^2)[/itex] is not. Indeed, this is the case at high energies in QCD.

Fourier transform.

With small distances = large momenta, nothing. As for the connection between behavior at small distances and renormalization, see section 29 of Srednicki.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?