KMHow to Enable JavaScript in IE for Flash Videos?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with Internet Explorer not being able to run videos and displaying a message about Flash or JavaScript not being enabled. The person has the latest Flash but assumes that JavaScript is not enabled. They mention that Microsoft has a history of not being happy with JavaScript. They ask for help on enabling JavaScript and someone suggests testing it with a JavaScript test. The conversation also mentions that some web videos do not work and the person suspects it may be due to requiring something more than just Flash. The conversation then shifts to discussing Shockwave Flash Object and managing add-ons in IE. The person mentions attempting to load Flash multiple times and having it work perfectly in Firefox. They give an example of YouTube not working in IE and mention that
Kenneth Mann
I have a small problem with Internet Explorer. When I try to run many videos I get the message "You need to obtain Flash or JavaScript is not enabled." I have the latest Flash, so it is assumed that JavaScript is not enabled. I never had any reason to disable JavaScript, so I assume that it was Microsoft's doing. They were never very happy with JavaScript (re. JScript). The problem is that I can find no reference in the help files regarding enabling. Can someone help me with it?

KM

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you didn't disable JS I doubt that's the problem. It should be easy to test if it's enable by just finding some JS test, here's the first one from google:
http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/sunspider.html

Do all web videos not work, does Youtube? If only some can you give an example of one that doesn't? What I'd suspect at this point is that if only some don't work is that they require something more than plain Flash, possibly shockwave.

Do both of these work?

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

If you are running vista try this
When IE is open go to “tools” and click on “ manage add-ons” to see if you have JS or flash enabled.

I ran the test, and it indicated JavaScript is present, (but with some errors). When looking at "manage add-ons", there is an indication of "Shockwave Flash Object". There was no other indicator of Flash. I have attempted loading Flash at least four times. BTW, this is a problem with IE; in Firefox Flash works perfectly well.

KM

What about the second link, the adobe one? There are two different objects there, one is regular flash and one is shockwave. For me since I don't have shockwave the bottom one works and the top one doesn't. Also could you give links of sites that do and don't work?

In the Adobe link:

Only the top box works when I'm running IE.

Both boxes work when I'm using Firefox.

I have downloaded flash several times, but it doesn't work in IE. By the way, I use XP.

KM

Example:

YouTube accesses don't work in IE.

KM

Kenneth Mann said:
Example:

YouTube accesses don't work in IE.

KM

What you say is really very strange... Actually when I used IE it offered me to download flash plug-in (it's free) and I manageв to watch any flash based elements on the page! What version of IE do you have?

What is Flash and why is it used?

Flash is a multimedia software platform used for creating animations, games, and other interactive content. It is often used on websites to enhance user experience and add visual appeal.

Why is Flash not supported by default in Internet Explorer (IE)?

Flash is not supported by default in IE because it is a third-party plug-in and can pose security risks if not updated regularly. Microsoft has also shifted its focus to HTML5, which is a more modern and secure way to create interactive content.

How can I enable Flash in IE?

To enable Flash in IE, you can go to the settings and click on "Manage add-ons". From there, select "Shockwave Flash Object" and click "Enable". You may need to restart your browser for the changes to take effect.

What are the potential risks of running Flash in IE?

Running Flash in IE can pose security risks if not updated regularly. Malicious websites can also use Flash to install malware on your computer. It is important to keep your Flash player up to date and only enable it on trusted websites.

Is there an alternative to using Flash in IE?

Yes, HTML5 is a modern and secure alternative to using Flash in IE. Many websites are now switching to HTML5 for creating interactive content. It is also supported by all major browsers, including IE, without the need for a third-party plug-in.