Surviving College: Physics II, 4 Years To Go!

• Thread starter Nick M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Running
In summary, the speaker is a full-time student who is currently finishing up their third semester of college. They are taking courses in Calculus II, Physics II, Chemistry II, and Linear Algebra, and are getting good grades. They express a need to review the material covered in Physics II and mention that fall semester will be lighter with courses in Multivariate Calculus, 3D Modeling, Philosophy, and Sociology. They also mention that they are leaning towards a major in Electrical Engineering and will be finishing their required Mathematics course this year. They feel that Physics I and II went by too quickly and plan on reviewing the material over the summer.
Nick M
So my school semester is almost over.
I took the following...

Calculus II
Physics II
Chemistry II
Linear Algebra

I'm getting good grades (3.5-4.0), but I really need to go over the Physics text. We covered so much material that I couldn't keep up with reading the proofs and connecting everything together as much as I wanted. Did anyone else feel this way after Physics I & II?

Fall should be a bit lighter...

Multivariate Calculus
3D Modeling (Using Cinema 4D - Personal Interest)
Philosophy (General Education)
Sociology (General Education)

Only four more years left! I work full-time so I spread it out over 11 semesters - 3 down, 8 to go... :)

... Just have to do those pesky finals...

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on your particular college's coursework, and your major. For us, Physics II was more electrical/magnetic based than Physics I, which was almost entirely kinetics and kinematics.

Now if you're like me, a Mech. Engineer, then there's not a whole lot of information that builds on Physics II (at least our definition of Physics II). At our school, Calculus II is the hardest math until you get to partial differential equations, so math should be downhill.

I'm leaning towards Electrical Engineering.
I'll be finishing up my required Mathematics course this year with Multivariate and DiffEQ.
Our last homework assignment in Calculus II (assigned today) is an introduction to DiffEQ.

I felt that Physics I and II went by way too fast. I didn't fully grasp everything with the type of depth that I wanted. I'm planning on reading a section a day throughout the summer to really sink things in.

1. What is the difficulty level of Physics II in college?

Physics II in college can be a challenging course, especially for students who do not have a strong foundation in physics. It builds upon the concepts learned in Physics I and introduces new topics such as electromagnetism and optics. However, with dedication and good study habits, it is definitely manageable.

2. How much time should I dedicate to studying for Physics II?

The amount of time you should dedicate to studying for Physics II will depend on your own learning style and understanding of the material. However, as a general rule, it is recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours studying for every hour spent in class. This means that for a 3-credit Physics II course, you should be spending 6-9 hours studying per week.

3. What are some effective study strategies for Physics II?

Some effective study strategies for Physics II include attending lectures and taking thorough notes, practicing problems regularly, and seeking help from your professor or a tutor if you are struggling with a concept. It is also helpful to form study groups with classmates and to utilize online resources such as practice quizzes and interactive simulations.

4. How can I prepare for the exams in Physics II?

To prepare for exams in Physics II, it is important to review your notes and practice problems regularly. Make sure you understand the concepts and can solve problems on your own. It can also be helpful to take practice exams or work through past exam questions to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions that may be asked.

5. What are some career options for students majoring in Physics?

There are many career options for students majoring in Physics, including research positions in various industries, teaching at the high school or college level, or pursuing graduate studies in physics or a related field. Physics majors also have skills that are highly sought after in fields such as engineering, computer science, and finance.