1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Running out of Math Classes

1. Oct 21, 2014 #1
    Hi I am a sophmore in high school doing multivariable calculus in a local community college and next semester I will be going into linear algebra with differential equations. The problem is that after differential equations and linear algebra the community college does not have any other math courses. I am doing the math classes a an outreach program by this community college and are taking the classes for free. Any advice on what to do next school year?

BTW I am interested in a math and physics double major

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, most sophomores in HS are struggling to learn Euclidean geometry, so you are well ahead of the game. CCs are only going to offer so many math courses, and I'm surprised yours offers MV calculus and DEs. If you want more advanced math, you'll either have to take a breather before enrolling in college or try to find some university courses you can take online or thru distance learning from a local 4-year college or university.

BTW, after doing all this math course work at the CC, you should also make sure your credits will transfer when you start college, especially since you have two more years of HS to complete. It would be a major drag if your credits were not accepted and you would have to retake your math courses.

4. Oct 21, 2014 #3
    Stanford Online High School might be am option. Not sure about price though. Self study is another option, I'll suggest some self study topics if you'd like. What's your physics background currently?

5. Oct 21, 2014 #4
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have checked on the CC website and I am fairly sure that the credit will be transferred to the university that I am interested in. I am wondering if some four year universities offer a outreach program similar to the CC because I don't want my brain to be out of shape when I get into university. My background in physics is Physics III at the CC and I will start quantum mechanics next semester

Also running out of option in that category too lol

6. Oct 21, 2014 #5
    Have you done probability and statistics? Someone ought to offer that one. What about physics classes? If you take physics classes, it should keep your math in shape.

Why not teach yourself something else? Maybe naive set theory/intro to proofs, real or complex analysis, PDE, differential geometry of curves and surfaces, or Fourier series.

7. Oct 21, 2014 #6
    Hey, are you in California by chance? If so you can PM me and I can help you find resources near you to take courses for credit. If not, contact your nearest university and ask them about Open enrollment. You should be able to start taking upper division courses next year if you want. I don't think it will be free though.

Also, have you completed the entire physics sequence at your CC as well? That is sure an option.

8. Oct 21, 2014 #7
    Yes I am taking statistics this semester and to be honest it is a complete joke

9. Oct 21, 2014 #8
    You should check out Goldstein's classical mechanics to see if you're ready. If not then go through Taylor first. Also, I second differential geometry but a applied one may be more useful. My class I took concurrently with Linear Algebra is number theory. Also, thermodynamics and/or statistical mechanics would be a good idea. I took classical thermodynamics as a Junior in high school and currently taking graduate level Statistical Mechanics as a Senior.

10. Oct 21, 2014 #9
    where are you taking these classes? online?

11. Oct 21, 2014 #10

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want to take all of these college courses while you are still in HS, why not pull the plug on HS and take the GED already? You've got all these math courses under your belt, but if you keep them on the shelf for another 2+ years, you are definitely going to lose something when you enroll at college. To keep this loss from happening, you're going to have to keep practicing all this math.

12. Oct 22, 2014 #11
    I am not sure about dropping high school because then i would have to wait till I am sixteen if I am not mistaken and by then i would already be entering senior year anyways

13. Oct 22, 2014 #12

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wait until you are 16 for what? It's not like you are going to be escaping from school. Just how old are you now?

14. Oct 22, 2014 #13
    The minimum requirement for a GED is sixteen an I am 14 turning 15 next year

15. Oct 22, 2014 #14

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are many free resources online these days. For example:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

Also, if you pick any maths or physics topic, you will find many free pdf's, ranging from short pieces covering one topic or one problem, to whole text books. E.g. if you google "number theory pdf", so would find:

http://www.maths.qmul.ac.uk/~pjc/notes/nt.pdf

A whole university course on number theory. And, if you don't like the author's style or you don't understand a particular section, you can look for another text.

16. Oct 22, 2014 #15
    so you've learned calc 1-3 but how well do you actually know it? I know many people that have finished calc 1-3 and can barely compute derivatives and integrals, and if you were to ask them optimization or finding area/volume they'd be lost

17. Oct 22, 2014 #16

Rocket50

Gold Member

I think that the online programs offered are too expensive, so the best option probably would be self-studying (unless you can find a nearby university allowing you to enroll there). The next subject in mathematics that you should learn is probably abstract algebra (or some sort of discrete math if you`re interested in it) or analysis.

18. Oct 22, 2014 #17
    I feel like I do understand the concepts of applied maths that I have done so far.

PeroK thank you for those resources
    Rocket50 Ya I am thinking about abstract alg and analysis

19. Oct 22, 2014 #18

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is a very good point. It's not a race, and if one can get more comprehension by slowing down, one should.

As Woody Allen once said, "I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia."

20. Oct 22, 2014 #19
    *(Do you what you think is best but really think about this)

Okay, but realize that calculus is probably the most useful area of mathematics in all of science, real and complex analysis is literally nothing but calculus and calculus is so damn useful that other fields have emerged from it like ODE and PDE ,and they apply it to other fields of mathematics like Topology and Geometry (this is just off the top of my head), you are very young and you have a lot of time before you get into college, a strong foundation in calculus will make everything else so much easier. I'm just saying that because you are so young that perhaps mastering calculus would be wiser than becoming a jack of all trades right now because honestly, no one becomes extremely proficient in a subject after reading one book on that topic or taking one course on that topic, unless you are some Gauss.

Since you are already taking what I am assuming to be calculus based physics(and I am assuming that you are doing well in this also), start reading harder texts in calculus and physics, like for example Calculus by Apostle or The Feynman Lectures on Physics. I really suggest that after you finish your linear algebra and ODE next semester that you buy Calculus by Apostol, it is very very rigorous and if you buy both volumes (they're pricey) you will be going over Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, Linear Algebra, Ordinary Differential Equations, Analytic Geometry, and many people consider it an introductory to real analysis because it is so rigorous

Regardless of the path you take, good luck, I wish I was this interested in academia at your age

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  21. Oct 22, 2014 #20

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This requirement is not written in stone. Check with the education authorities in your state. GED applicants can be tested if they can furnish a letter of permission from their parents and/or the state education authorities. Students have matriculated to college before turning 16. There's no use killing time in HS if you are ready for college work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Educational_Development

Check the section 'Eligibility' under 'Test Administration'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook