1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Running red lights

1. Jul 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A police officer pulls you over for running a red light. You tell the
    officer, “But the light looked green to me!” How fast would you have to be traveling for
    this statement to be true?

2. Relevant equations

???

3. The attempt at a solution

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a doppler effect question. Look up the approximate wavelengths of red and green light and figure out how fast you would have to be travelling to shift one into the other. It won't be an exact number, since 'red' and 'green' aren't exact wavelengths.

4. Jul 17, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5. Jul 17, 2013 #4
    λred=650nm=650*10^-9m
    λgreen=510nm=510*10^-9m

f*λ=c c=2.99*10^8

fo=fs(1+/-vrel/c)

fo=5.863*10^14
    fs=4.6*10^14

5.863*10^14Hz=4.6*10^14Hz (1-vrel/c)

vrel=3.8%*10^8m/s

Is this correct?

6. Jul 17, 2013 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wrong formula. needs correction for relativistic effect.

I don't know what the % sign is doing in your answer, but if it shouldn't be there then you'd be going faster than the speed of light, which Al said is a no-no.

7. Jul 17, 2013 #6

PeterO

Homework Helper

My understanding is that "red-shift" occurs when the light source is moving away from you (relatively speaking), but the motorist is clearly moving towards the light.

8. Jul 17, 2013 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Quick! You still have time to delete your dyslexic post!

ps. I agreed with you at first, as I am totally dyslexic. But then I saw that Dick and CWatters had commented, and would have caught that in a second, so I double checked, and red light is the lower frequency, meaning lower energy. Ergo, going faster would shift the light to a higher frequency, and therefore to green.

9. Jul 17, 2013 #8

PeterO

Homework Helper

Correct - damn it, I was trying to make the Green light appear Red !!

10. Jul 17, 2013 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As rude man says, you'd do better using the relativistic formula: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_Doppler_effect.
    But with the formula you used you should have been fairly close. I don't understand what you did after 5.863*10^14Hz=4.6*10^14Hz (1-vrel/c). You should have got 27%*c. The relativistic version makes it a bit lower.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted