Running Red Lights: How Fast Do You Have to Go?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the speed at which a person would have to be traveling for a red light to appear green due to the Doppler effect. The correct answer involves using the relativistic formula for the Doppler effect.
aChordate

Homework Statement

A police officer pulls you over for running a red light. You tell the
officer, “But the light looked green to me!” How fast would you have to be traveling for
this statement to be true?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
aChordate said:

Homework Statement

officer, “But the light looked green to me!” How fast would you have to be traveling for

Homework Equations

?

It's a doppler effect question. Look up the approximate wavelengths of red and green light and figure out how fast you would have to be traveling to shift one into the other. It won't be an exact number, since 'red' and 'green' aren't exact wavelengths.

Likes 1 person
λred=650nm=650*10^-9m
λgreen=510nm=510*10^-9m

f*λ=c c=2.99*10^8

fo=fs(1+/-vrel/c)

fo=5.863*10^14
fs=4.6*10^14

5.863*10^14Hz=4.6*10^14Hz (1-vrel/c)

vrel=3.8%*10^8m/s

Is this correct?

Wrong formula. needs correction for relativistic effect.

I don't know what the % sign is doing in your answer, but if it shouldn't be there then you'd be going faster than the speed of light, which Al said is a no-no.

aChordate said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

?

My understanding is that "red-shift" occurs when the light source is moving away from you (relatively speaking), but the motorist is clearly moving towards the light.

PeterO said:
My understanding is that "red-shift" occurs when the light source is moving away from you (relatively speaking), but the motorist is clearly moving towards the light.

Quick! You still have time to delete your dyslexic post!

ps. I agreed with you at first, as I am totally dyslexic. But then I saw that Dick and CWatters had commented, and would have caught that in a second, so I double checked, and red light is the lower frequency, meaning lower energy. Ergo, going faster would shift the light to a higher frequency, and therefore to green.

OmCheeto said:
Quick! You still have time to delete your dyslexic post!

ps. I agreed with you at first, as I am totally dyslexic. But then I saw that Dick and CWatters had commented, and would have caught that in a second, so I double checked, and red light is the lower frequency, meaning lower energy. Ergo, going faster would shift the light to a higher frequency, and therefore to green.

Correct - damn it, I was trying to make the Green light appear Red !

aChordate said:
5.863*10^14Hz=4.6*10^14Hz (1-vrel/c)

vrel=3.8%*10^8m/s

Is this correct?
As rude man says, you'd do better using the relativistic formula: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_Doppler_effect.
But with the formula you used you should have been fairly close. I don't understand what you did after 5.863*10^14Hz=4.6*10^14Hz (1-vrel/c). You should have got 27%*c. The relativistic version makes it a bit lower.

1. How fast do you have to go to trigger a red light camera?

The exact speed required to trigger a red light camera varies depending on the specific system and location. However, in general, most red light cameras are triggered when a vehicle passes through an intersection at a speed of at least 10 mph above the posted speed limit.

2. Can I get a ticket for running a red light if the light turns red while I am in the intersection?

In most cases, running a red light is only considered a violation if the vehicle enters the intersection after the light has turned red. However, some jurisdictions may consider a vehicle to have run a red light if it enters the intersection just as the light is turning red, so it is important to always obey traffic signals and come to a complete stop before the light turns red.

3. Can I challenge a red light camera ticket?

Yes, you have the right to challenge a red light camera ticket. However, the process for challenging a ticket may vary depending on your location and the specific circumstances of the violation. It is important to carefully review the ticket and any evidence provided, and seek legal advice if necessary.

4. Do red light cameras actually reduce accidents?

Studies have shown mixed results on the impact of red light cameras on accident rates. While some studies have found a decrease in the number of accidents at intersections with red light cameras, others have found no significant change or even an increase in accidents. The effectiveness of red light cameras may also depend on other factors, such as driver behavior and the specific design and placement of the cameras.

5. Can I be ticketed for running a red light if I am turning right on red?

In most cases, turning right on red is allowed at intersections unless there is a sign indicating otherwise. However, you may still be ticketed for running a red light while turning right if you do not come to a complete stop before making the turn or if you turn from a lane that is not designated for right turns. It is important to always follow traffic signals and signs to avoid receiving a ticket.