How can I achieve higher speeds when running stepper motors?

In summary, achieving higher speeds when running stepper motors can be accomplished by using a higher voltage power supply, selecting a stepper motor with a higher step rate, and optimizing the motor's driver settings. Additionally, implementing microstepping can also improve speed and accuracy, as well as using a more advanced control system such as closed-loop control. Proper maintenance and regular calibration of the motors can also ensure optimal performance and higher speeds.
neoply
Hello all. Thanks for taking up your time to read my post.

I have ordered http://uk.stepperonline.com/download/pdf/11HS20-0674S-PG14.pdf stepper motors. I asked the seller how many revolutions the motor can achieve in a minute and they answered 43. I calculated (13 + 212/289) * 200 * 43 / 60 to determine how many steps I would need to step in a second to achieve 43 rpm. This results to roughly 1950 steps per second. However, when I try to run the stepper motor with 1950 steps per second, it stalls. It vibrates but doesn't turn. After reducing the steps per second to 1300, the stepper starts moving again.

I'm using MK70-1 drivers as the datasheet of http://www.kynix.com/uploadfiles/pdf2286/MK70-1.pdf, set to ignore microstepping and to supply 0,5 A current with 12 V. I'm controlling the driver with an Arduino Mega 2560 and AccelStepper library.

Why can't I run it with higher speeds? I've had this problem with other steppers, too.

Can anyone help me ? I am very puzzled about this question.

Engineering news on Phys.org
neoply said:
Hello all. Thanks for taking up your time to read my post.

...I'm using MK70-1 drivers as the datasheet of http://www.kynix.com/uploadfiles/pdf2286/MK70-1.pdf, set to ignore microstepping and to supply 0,5 A current with 12 V. I'm controlling the driver with an Arduino Mega 2560 and AccelStepper library.

What is providing power to the stepper motor? The above link is for Minebea stepper motors.
Can you provide a wiring sketch of what you've built?
How fast is the speed ramp?
Is the motor physically bolted to a structure, or is it freestanding?

Asymptotic said:
What is providing power to the stepper motor? The above link is for Minebea stepper motors.
Can you provide a wiring sketch of what you've built?
How fast is the speed ramp?
Is the motor physically bolted to a structure, or is it freestanding?

thanks for your fast reply. Those are good questions. I will build a wiring based on your advice. THANKS A LOT.

Jim Hardy linked out to this video tutorial in a previous stepper topic, "Stepper Motor Resistance".
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/stepper-motor-resistance.771532/
. <iframe src="" </iframe>

Generally speaking, basic wiring problems are eliminated so long as a stepper motor operates correctly at lower speeds. If coil polarity was reversed on one of the phases, chances are the motor would sit and hum all the time, or rotate only after giving the shaft a nudge, or behave in a combination of the two, and rotate unpredictably.

As the video shows, a stepper rotor follows the sequencing of stator winding magnetic fields. The symptom you've described occurs when the rotor can't follow those fields. As speed increases beyond a certain point, typically the rotor (at first) misses commanded steps, then as speed command increases further it will fall out of step completely, and just sit there and buzz away.

As is the case for most physical devices, several phenomena conspire to yield this symptom, including,
  • Mechanical resonance (which is why motor mounting is important, as well as driven equipment characteristics).
  • Uneven mechanical loading. For instance, a ball bearing in early failure begins to "grab" at certain positions, and prevent the rotor from making it to the commanded position. Several other load-related reasons exist.
  • Excessively rapid ramp rate. When a stepper is commanded to target speed too rapidly, the rotor will fall out of step with the commanded coil currents and magnetic fields they produce.
  • Winding inductance. It takes x amount of time after coil current is turned on for the magnetic field to reach full strength, and develop rated torque. As speed increases, this effect becomes a limiting factor.
Section 4, "Motor Drive Topologies", in this STI application note goes into this in more detail. http://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/cd00003774.pdf

This article on pull-out torque should also be enlightening.
http://www.motioncontroltips.com/fa...and-why-is-it-a-critical-stepper-motor-value/

Likes jim hardy
thanks for your reply.

I will thoroughly read his post. thanks a lot.

1. What is the maximum speed at which a stepper motor can be run?

The maximum speed at which a stepper motor can be run varies depending on the specific motor and driver, but it is typically between 1000 and 3000 steps per second.

2. How can I increase the speed of my stepper motor?

To increase the speed of a stepper motor, you can try using a more powerful driver or motor, reducing the load on the motor, or optimizing the code used to control the motor.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a stepper motor?

The speed of a stepper motor can be affected by the voltage and current supplied to the motor, the type and size of the motor, the load on the motor, and the driver used to control the motor.

4. Is there a limit to how fast a stepper motor can be run?

Yes, there is a limit to how fast a stepper motor can be run. Beyond a certain speed, the motor may not be able to accurately step and may lose synchronization, resulting in loss of control.

5. Can running a stepper motor too fast damage it?

Yes, running a stepper motor too fast can damage it. It can cause the motor to overheat and potentially burn out. It can also damage the driver and other components in the motor control system.