1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Running UNIX

1. Jun 23, 2005 #1
    I'm thinking about running unix as a virtual machine. What is a good distribution that I should start with? I was looking at FreeBSD. By the way I don't know if I'm confusing my terminology with unix, so is there a "unix" from the open group and are the others (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc.) just "unix-like" in nature?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Unix has many branches such as the *BSDs, Solaris, AIX, etc.

The *BSDs and Solaris are available for free on the internet.

4. Jun 23, 2005 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only real "standard" among Unix-like operating systems is POSIX, the Portable Operating System Interface. Almost all operating systems that are described with the terms "Unix" and "Unix-like" are POSIX-compliant, and will run the vast majority of the Unix world's software without modification.

Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, and so on are all POSIX-compliant.

- Warren

5. Jun 23, 2005 #4

graphic7

Gold Member

We could also distinguish further:

Essentially, there's two "streams" of the original UTS (Bell Labs UNIX Time Sharing System): SystemV by AT&T and BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution -- you can guess where this comes from). All of the BSDs, old SunOS, etc. are all very BSD-like. Solaris is pure SystemV; IRIX is mixture between BSD and SystemV, as is Linux, as well.

One of the main characteristics that distinguishes a SystemV-like and BSD-like system from another is the startup-shutdown procedure. SystemV and BSD, both, have very different startup-shutdown methods. SystemV also does file locking, job control, and tons of other stuff rather differently than BSD. POSIX tries to bridge the gap between SystemV and BSD by establishing a multitude of standards: common commands with similar syntax, POSIX-compliant libc, along with multithreading mechanisms (something Linux hasn't had until a few years ago).

Most of this, though, isn't really relevant to you at all. I assume you're running an x86 system, therefore, you'll be confined to all the free, open-source UNIX derivatives like Linux, and the *BSDs and so fourth. You won't be able to run IRIX or any of the other propiertary UNIX derivatives; however, Solaris is also an option that I highly recommend if you want a decent UNIX experience. It runs under VMware rather nicely, as you can see:

http://riemann.solnetworks.net/~dlewis/images/screenshots

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  6. Jun 23, 2005 #5
    I see you have a sunsystem avatar, no wonder you highly recommend it
    :smile:.

I plan on doing electical and computer engineering (plus low-level coding), would linux/unix give me a better environment to run tools, and develop technical software too? In other words is the *nix environment better for hardcore technical stuff?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?