Unix VM: What Distribution is Best? FreeBSD or Others?

In summary: You should definitely consider Linux or one of the *BSDs. They are both very robust and versatile operating systems.
exequor
I'm thinking about running unix as a virtual machine. What is a good distribution that I should start with? I was looking at FreeBSD. By the way I don't know if I'm confusing my terminology with unix, so is there a "unix" from the open group and are the others (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc.) just "unix-like" in nature?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Unix has many branches such as the *BSDs, Solaris, AIX, etc.

The *BSDs and Solaris are available for free on the internet.

The only real "standard" among Unix-like operating systems is POSIX, the Portable Operating System Interface. Almost all operating systems that are described with the terms "Unix" and "Unix-like" are POSIX-compliant, and will run the vast majority of the Unix world's software without modification.

Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, and so on are all POSIX-compliant.

- Warren

We could also distinguish further:

Essentially, there's two "streams" of the original UTS (Bell Labs UNIX Time Sharing System): SystemV by AT&T and BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution -- you can guess where this comes from). All of the BSDs, old SunOS, etc. are all very BSD-like. Solaris is pure SystemV; IRIX is mixture between BSD and SystemV, as is Linux, as well.

One of the main characteristics that distinguishes a SystemV-like and BSD-like system from another is the startup-shutdown procedure. SystemV and BSD, both, have very different startup-shutdown methods. SystemV also does file locking, job control, and tons of other stuff rather differently than BSD. POSIX tries to bridge the gap between SystemV and BSD by establishing a multitude of standards: common commands with similar syntax, POSIX-compliant libc, along with multithreading mechanisms (something Linux hasn't had until a few years ago).

Most of this, though, isn't really relevant to you at all. I assume you're running an x86 system, therefore, you'll be confined to all the free, open-source UNIX derivatives like Linux, and the *BSDs and so fourth. You won't be able to run IRIX or any of the other propiertary UNIX derivatives; however, Solaris is also an option that I highly recommend if you want a decent UNIX experience. It runs under VMware rather nicely, as you can see:

http://riemann.solnetworks.net/~dlewis/images/screenshots

Last edited by a moderator:
graphic7 said:
... however, Solaris is also an option that I highly recommend if you want a decent UNIX experience. It runs under VMware rather nicely, as you can see:

http://riemann.solnetworks.net/~dlewis/images/screenshots

I see you have a sunsystem avatar, no wonder you highly recommend it
:smile:.

I plan on doing electical and computer engineering (plus low-level coding), would linux/unix give me a better environment to run tools, and develop technical software too? In other words is the *nix environment better for hardcore technical stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Unix VM?

A Unix VM, or virtual machine, is a software emulation of a computer system that allows users to run multiple operating systems on a single physical machine. It is commonly used for testing, development, and server consolidation.

2. What is the difference between FreeBSD and other Unix distributions?

FreeBSD is a Unix-like operating system that is based on the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) and is known for its stability, security, and scalability. Other popular Unix distributions include Linux, which is based on the Unix-like kernel, and Solaris, which is developed by Oracle.

3. Which distribution is best for a Unix VM?

The best distribution for a Unix VM depends on your specific needs and preferences. FreeBSD is a good choice for those looking for a stable and secure operating system, while Linux may have a wider range of software and community support. Solaris may be a better choice for those who require compatibility with specific hardware or software.

4. Can I switch between distributions on a Unix VM?

Yes, you can switch between distributions on a Unix VM. However, this may require some technical knowledge and may not be recommended for novice users. It is important to fully research the process and potential compatibility issues before attempting to switch distributions.

5. Is one distribution more difficult to use than others?

The difficulty of using a particular distribution on a Unix VM may vary based on individual experience and familiarity. While some distributions may have a steeper learning curve, there are usually resources and communities available to help users navigate any challenges they may encounter.