1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rupture point

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A thin uniform pole of length 30 m is pivoted at the bottom end. Calculate the most probable point of rupture on the pole as the pole falls.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm really not sure how to start.

3. The attempt at a solution
    None, our professor gave us this as a challenge problem and I don't believe it is something I should know taking general physics. Clarification on even where to start would be nice.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2
    Have you found out how to solve this yet? I have no idea.

4. Dec 9, 2013 #3
    Still nothing.

5. Dec 10, 2013 #4
    Damn. I'm not even sure what this is supposed to look like. No figure or anything.

6. Dec 10, 2013 #5
    So I got some more information if anyone still is helping.

while the pole is falling, at any location of the pole there are forces that try to snap the pole. One goes up perpendicular to the pole and the other comes down perpendicular to the pole. That is why an old fragile pole breaks down while its falling full-length. These forces snap the pole into two pieces.

I'm still not exactly sure how to go about finding the rupture point off of this so it be great for help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted