Calculating Most Probable Point of Rupture on a Falling Pole

In summary, the problem involves finding the most probable point of rupture on a 30 m thin uniform pole that is pivoted at the bottom end as it falls. The forces acting on the pole during its fall can cause it to snap into two pieces, making it a challenge to find the rupture point. Additional information provided suggests that there are two perpendicular forces acting on the pole while it falls, one going up and one going down. However, the exact method for finding the rupture point remains unclear.
Jamadar

Homework Statement

A thin uniform pole of length 30 m is pivoted at the bottom end. Calculate the most probable point of rupture on the pole as the pole falls.

Homework Equations

I'm really not sure how to start.

The Attempt at a Solution

None, our professor gave us this as a challenge problem and I don't believe it is something I should know taking general physics. Clarification on even where to start would be nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you found out how to solve this yet? I have no idea.

Still nothing.

Damn. I'm not even sure what this is supposed to look like. No figure or anything.

So I got some more information if anyone still is helping.

while the pole is falling, at any location of the pole there are forces that try to snap the pole. One goes up perpendicular to the pole and the other comes down perpendicular to the pole. That is why an old fragile pole breaks down while its falling full-length. These forces snap the pole into two pieces.

I'm still not exactly sure how to go about finding the rupture point off of this so it be great for help.

1. What is the Most Probable Point of Rupture (MPPR) on a falling pole?

The Most Probable Point of Rupture is the point at which a pole is most likely to break or fail when it is falling. It is determined by analyzing the structural properties of the pole, such as its material, dimensions, and any external forces acting on it.

2. How is the MPPR calculated?

The MPPR is calculated using mathematical models and equations that take into account the physical characteristics of the pole and the forces acting on it. These models can be complex and may require advanced knowledge of physics and engineering principles.

3. Why is it important to calculate the MPPR?

Calculating the MPPR is important for safety reasons. Knowing the point at which a pole is most likely to break can help engineers and safety experts make informed decisions about where to install poles and how to design them to withstand external forces. It can also help prevent accidents and injuries caused by falling poles.

4. Can the MPPR change over time?

Yes, the MPPR can change over time due to various factors such as weathering, decay, and wear and tear. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain poles to ensure they remain structurally sound and the MPPR remains accurate.

5. Are there any limitations to the MPPR calculation?

Yes, there are limitations to the MPPR calculation. It is based on mathematical models and assumptions and may not accurately reflect real-life scenarios. Other factors, such as the presence of external forces like strong winds or earthquakes, may also affect the MPPR. Therefore, it is important to use the MPPR as a guide rather than a definitive measure of a pole's structural integrity.