Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rush Limbaugh Arrested

1. Apr 28, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002959804_webrush28.html

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2006 #2
    that name rings a bell, but could who's Rush Limbaugh (well I live over the pond, I doubt you know who Kilroy is either).

4. Apr 29, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Rush Limbaugh is a conversative talk host over here. I'm pretty sure he's nationwide... pretty far over to the right but there's worse.

5. Apr 29, 2006 #4

Mk

Kilroy... I've heard that name before...

6. Apr 29, 2006 #5

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

"Fraud to conceal information to obtain a prescription." That means he lied to his doctor in order to get a certain drug?

7. Apr 29, 2006 #6
    More than that. He was going to four different doctors simultaneously (each being deceived about the others), to get multiple prescriptions. Apparently he only went to one pharmacy though, that's how he was found out.

Stupid hippie.

8. Apr 29, 2006 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I was listening to the story on the news last night. There is a misconception about the term "arrested." Not that I am defending the actions, but the term "arrested" to me brings up being put into cuffs and booked.

What they said did happen is that it was pre arranged by an agreement of the court for him to enter some kind of rehab program. For him to be allowed to participate in the program he did have to go through the booking process, i.e. fingerprints and mug shots. He walked in, did the shots and the prints and walked out. He was never detained. He does, however, start some kind of 18 month program now, the details of which I do not know. He will not be detained in any way, and will not have any kind of criminal record. Once the program is completed successfully, the incident will be expunged from his record (but not from people's minds!).

TECHNICALLY, the act of being booked, to many, is the same as being arrested. To others, it doesn't mean the same thing. I guess it shouldn't surprise me when we have a legal system that will allow the argument of what the word "is" is.

9. Apr 29, 2006 #8
    This just in:Bush says despite this arrest there still a investigation in the Iraqi
    WMD faulty intellgence.:biggrin:

There's on his website about it.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com

10. Apr 29, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's called being arrested.

He turned himself in, which, granted, is different than being hunted like a wild animal. :biggrin:

11. Apr 29, 2006 #10
    Now on the other hand, Tom DeLay...

:rofl:

12. Apr 30, 2006 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The one thing I didn't hear anything about was if a warrant was issued for his arrest. Also, they did not mention if he had to post bail in order to leave. If there was no warrant, then is it really an arrest? Like I said, his going in to be booked was part of some legal agreement. I think It's splitting hairs, but at the same time, saying he was arrested doesn't seem quite the appropriate phrase.

13. Apr 30, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My take was that this was part of the deal he cut: He had to be arrested for the lesser crime agreed upon by Limbaugh and the DA. If he successfully completes the treatment program, in 18 months, charges will be dropped. So, obviously charges were officially filed. To me this means that the DA felt it was important that Limbaugh be arrested for a crime even if on a cooperative basis.

14. May 1, 2006 #13

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Ahh. I didn't hear any of the plea bargaining aspect on the interview. He was being charged...so be it. I guess arrested is an appropriate term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?