Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Russel Crowe as Robin Hood?

1. Too old

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Too ugly

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. Too old and ugly

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. At least he's not Kevin Costner

20 vote(s)
    71.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. May 11, 2010 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ok, I can't stand Russell Crowe. He's around 60, isn't he? He sure looks it. Who the heck cast him as Robin Hood? Blegh.

Ok a poll.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2

russ_watters

He's 46 and I'm a big fan(he's a jerk, but a great actor), but Robin-Hood-the-Gladiator? No. At least he's not Kevin Costner.

4. May 11, 2010 #3

Evo

Kevin Costner was the worst Robin Hood...EVER. Sometimes he'd have an English accent, sometimes he'd forget. He could barely get his lines out in any accent.

5. May 11, 2010 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I like lots of Crowe's work. I'll withhold judgement until I see the DVD. There have been lots of variations on the Robin Hood theme, many of them terrible, and well-deserving of the "Men in Tights" send-up.

6. May 11, 2010 #5

Evo

Ewwwww.

[PLAIN]http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2108/robinhoodcrowegak.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. May 11, 2010 #6

turbo

Gold Member

When the King or England (whichever) ruled, men were pressed into service at what we might consider today to be an advanced age. I have researched, promoted, and sold a scrimshawed powder horn carried by a colonial militia-man who fought in the French and Indian wars, and fought in the American Revolution. He was a captain, and in his 50's. He was captured by the French and Indians in an attack on a fort in the Hudson valley and he and his fellow captors were being led out to execution by the Indians, when they stripped off their clothing and threw it as far as they could. the Indians coveted the woven-fabric clothing and uniform parts and abandoned their captives to grab the clothing. Some of the captives escaped, and ran cross-country, arriving back in Mass mostly naked. If Robin Hood was indeed a skilled archer and a leader of men, it is not unreasonable to consider that he might have been a middle-aged man upon his return to England.

8. May 11, 2010 #7

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. May 11, 2010 #8

Evo

Robin Hood never left England in the original stories. Him going on Crusade is a new thing.

10. May 11, 2010 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Might not have been crusade. England always seemed to be contesting parts of mainland Europe with France.

11. May 11, 2010 #10

Evo

The King he supposedly served, Richard the Lionhearted, was French and didn't even speak English. No original stories I'm aware of ever put Robin Hood outside of England.

It might not be a bad movie, I just can't see Crowe as a young Robin Hood.

12. May 11, 2010 #11
    Russell Crowe is one of my all-time favorite actors. I think he'll make a fine Robin Hood after seeing the previews for the movie... this doesn't look like your typical 'good ole' merry-cheery robin hood' type of storyline. It looks like it's going for the more 'realistic to the times' approach, which makes me think Crowe would be a great actor to choose.

Gladiator was one of the best movies ever created. <<Just thought I'd toss that out there.

EDIT: I feel even more sure of my view of the new Robin Hood movie after re-watching the preview. The statement 'the story behind the legend' did it for me. :rofl:.

13. May 11, 2010 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He delivered most of his lines, whether accented or not, in a monotone!

14. May 11, 2010 #13
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0955308/usercomments

These people who have seen the movie also seem to agree... So why should we compare Russell Crowe to all the other Robin Hoods. I'm actually glad that they are taking a more realistic route to this movie. I didn't really like the 'merry-men' robin hoods... mostly just thought they were funny. Not very entertaining though.

I love how you set the poll up though Evo. :rofl:.

15. May 11, 2010 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll have to wait until I see it.

I thought Crowe was great in Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.

Somehow, that movie just had the same feel as the original Star Trek series.

16. May 11, 2010 #15

Evo

I know!!!! The was no inflection, it's unbelievable that a person could do an entire movie that way!

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  17. May 11, 2010 #16

Evo

There is nothing 'realistic" about it. I'm watching a documentary on the making of this movie and how much of the recent additions and modern updates in opposition to the original stories this one has. :biggrin: Robin Hood is a story that has grown and changed immensely over hundreds of years.

The poll is about Crowe playing Robin Hood, not about the movie.

Robin Hood should be a hottie.

18. May 11, 2010 #17
    Oh god I completely forgot about this movie. This is another GREAT movie... it was kinda long but WELL WORTH IT!!!

This just makes me want to go and make a list of epic movies with Russell 'the Great' Crowe (:rofl:)

Gladiator!!!
    A Beautiful Mind
    Cinderella Man
    Master and Commander
    State of Play
    Body of Lies
    American Gangster

I don't think I know of any other movies.... I'm pretty sure all of these were made after Gladiator in 2000 so I guess 2000 was just his breakout year :smile:.

19. May 11, 2010 #18
    It is entirely about the movie if it's about Crowe playing Robin Hood. Russell Crowe I believe has proven himself with his performance in Gladiator of being able to portray, successfully a soldier from an ancient time. Just the scruffy way he looks and talks and his acting is spot on.

If you think that back in the 12th century that a 'true robin hood' character would be considered a hottie then maybe you just shouldn't see the movie.

20. May 11, 2010 #19

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Adrian Paul perhaps, but he may be a bit too old now. He'll be 51 soon.

Patrick Swayze would have made a good Robin Hood.

21. May 11, 2010 #20

Evo

I don't plan to see the movie, Crowe would ruin my image of Robin Hood. It would be like Roseanne Barr cast as Maid Marian.

I guess I can understand men liking Crowe. But for me, part of me buying into a movie, is accepting the actor as what I envision, especially in this case, what a very well known character looks like like. To me, he's hideously ugly.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook