Russell's Paradox: Proving N is Normal if Abnormal

In summary, the proof of the normality of set ##N## is that it either contains itself or it is not normal.
Figaro
Sets which doesn't contain themselves are called normal sets while sets that contain themselves are called abnormal. Let ##N## be a set of all normal sets. Prove that ##N## is normal if and only if ##N## is abnormal.
Proof. ##~~\rightarrow ~~ ## Suppose ##N## is normal such that ##N \not\in N## but since ##N## contains all normal sets, it should include itself since it is a normal set by assumption. Thus ##N \in N##
##\leftarrow~~## The argument is the same as before. QED

Can anyone help me check my proof? Also, is it correct to think that the crucial ingredient/key phrase here is "N contains all the normal sets"?

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't quite proved precisely what was asked. You have correct logic, but you haven't clearly shown the result.

And you do need to prove the converse properly.

Figaro said:
It's not the same. The argument runs in reverse, for the reverse direction.

The argument can be made the same for both directions by connecting the propositions "##N## is normal" and "##N## is abnormal" by a chain of one or more intermediate propositions, all of which are connected by 'if and only if' relations (##\leftrightarrow## symbol). Your argument is not currently expressed that way but, with a little thought, could be adapted to be like that.

##\leftarrow## Suppose ##N## is abnormal such that ##N \in N##, but since ##N## contains all normal sets it is the case that ##N \not\in N## since ##N## is abnormal by assumption.

Is this the correct argument?

Figaro said:
##\leftarrow## Suppose ##N## is abnormal such that ##N \in N##, but since ##N## contains all normal sets it is the case that ##N \not\in N## since ##N## is abnormal by assumption.

Because the point of logic is to absolutely precise, let me analyse what you have done from a very rigorous perspective:

1) "Suppose ##N## is abnormal such that ##N \in N##"

Usually "such that" will introduce some additional property or constraint, but isn't used to restate the definition or draw a conclusion. Better is:

"Suppose ##N## is abnormal, then ##N \in N##"

2) "but since ##N## contains all normal sets"

It's not that ##N## contains all the normal sets, it's that ##N## contains only normal sets that is key.

3) "it is the case that ##N \not\in N## since ##N## is abnormal by assumption."

This loses the thread somewhat and you appear to be aiming for a contradiction, but you never quite finish the argument. Note that what you were to show, precisely, is that:

##N## abnormal ##\Rightarrow \ N ## normal

Note that there is only a contradiction if you think being normal and abnormal are incompatible, which is technically a different question!

Does this help?

PeroK said:
Because the point of logic is to absolutely precise, let me analyse what you have done from a very rigorous perspective:

1) "Suppose ##N## is abnormal such that ##N \in N##"

Usually "such that" will introduce some additional property or constraint, but isn't used to restate the definition or draw a conclusion. Better is:

"Suppose ##N## is abnormal, then ##N \in N##"

2) "but since ##N## contains all normal sets"

It's not that ##N## contains all the normal sets, it's that ##N## contains only normal sets that is key.

3) "it is the case that ##N \not\in N## since ##N## is abnormal by assumption."

This loses the thread somewhat and you appear to be aiming for a contradiction, but you never quite finish the argument. Note that what you were to show, precisely, is that:

##N## abnormal ##\Rightarrow \ N ## normal

Note that there is only a contradiction if you think being normal and abnormal are incompatible, which is technically a different question!

Does this help?
So everything is ok and the only problem is my usage of words in 1) and 2) and that in 3) I should specify clearly that since I concluded that ##N \not\in N##, that N is normal?

Figaro said:
So everything is ok and the only problem is my usage of words in 1) and 2) and that in 3) I should specify clearly that since I concluded that ##N \not\in N##, that N is normal?

Why do you need to say ##N \not\in N##?

##N \in N## (by hypothesis), ##N## contains only normal sets, therefore ##N## is normal. Isn't that simpler?

Figaro said:

That is correct. Just a little word-smithing: but since ##N## contains only normal sets

Likes Figaro
PeroK said:
Why do you need to say ##N \not\in N##?

##N \in N## (by hypothesis), ##N## contains only normal sets, therefore ##N## is normal. Isn't that simpler?
Yes, I should do that. Thanks!

The self-referentiality of the designation "set of all sets not members of themselves" co-mingles first-order and second-order predication -- the resultant paradox can be resolved by modification of the designation to "the set, other than and not including itself, of all sets not members of themselves".

Figaro said:
Sets which doesn't contain themselves are called normal sets while sets that contain themselves are called abnormal. Let ##N## be a set of all normal sets. Prove that ##N## is normal if and only if ##N## is abnormal.
Proof. ##~~\rightarrow ~~ ## Suppose ##N## is normal such that ##N \not\in N## but since ##N## contains all normal sets, it should include itself since it is a normal set by assumption. Thus ##N \in N##

Can anyone help me check my proof? Also, is it correct to think that the crucial ingredient/key phrase here is "N contains all the normal sets"?

Where did you get this exercise? I am interested in a book that covers this sort of material.

What is Russell's Paradox?

Russell's Paradox is a famous paradox in mathematics that was discovered by philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell in 1901. It challenges the foundations of set theory and deals with the concept of self-reference.

What is the statement "Proving N is Normal if Abnormal" referring to in Russell's Paradox?

This statement refers to the paradoxical situation in which a set contains all sets that are not members of themselves. This means that the set is both normal and abnormal at the same time.

How does Russell's Paradox demonstrate a contradiction in set theory?

Russell's Paradox shows a contradiction in set theory by creating a set that cannot exist within the principles of set theory. This set contains all sets that are not members of themselves, which leads to a logical contradiction.

What is the significance of Russell's Paradox in mathematics?

Russell's Paradox has significant implications in the foundations of mathematics and logic. It highlights the limitations of set theory and the need for rigorous axiomatic systems to avoid self-referential paradoxes.

How has Russell's Paradox been resolved in mathematics?

Russell's Paradox has been resolved by developing more sophisticated axiomatic systems, such as Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory, which includes the Axiom of Regularity that prevents the creation of self-referential sets. It also led to the development of other theories, such as type theory, to deal with the paradox.