Russian Old-PC Museum: A Peek into the Soviet Computer Revolution

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Russian
In summary, the conversation revolved around a link that was found while cleaning out old files. The link was about a Russian man who collects old PCs and has built a museum with almost 200 computers from the early days. Despite not being technical, the man's passion for old computers is evident and he has gained attention from collectors. However, he has also faced criticism for selling some of the computers but has since apologized and has started accepting donations for his museum.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Cleaning out some old files, I ran across this link that my son sent me a couple of years ago about a Russian fellow who started collecting very old PCs and couldn't stop. It's not technical, and the computers are almost all Russian, but he's a charming fellow who loves old computers and has single-handedly put together quite a museum of almost 200 PCs from the early days including the earliest Atari model.

https://gizmodo.com/a-peek-into-the-soviet-computer-revolution-1838216365

Likes QuantumQuest, jedishrfu, anorlunda and 1 other person
Computer science news on Phys.org
That's a great story. I like how he had to buy many computers at a time to get the parts he needed and then sold the others and collectors thought he was a wheeler-dealer making money on their passion. But once he opened his museum then apologized and helped with donations.

Likes phinds

1. What is the Russian Old-PC Museum?

The Russian Old-PC Museum is a collection of computers and other technology from the Soviet era, showcasing the advancements and innovations made during that time period.

2. When was the museum established?

The museum was established in 2007 by a group of computer enthusiasts who wanted to preserve and showcase the technology of the Soviet era.

3. What can visitors expect to see at the museum?

Visitors can expect to see a variety of old computers, including the first Soviet-made personal computer, the Agat-7, as well as early models of mainframe computers and other technology from the Soviet era.

4. Is the museum open to the general public?

Yes, the museum is open to the general public and welcomes visitors of all ages to explore and learn about the history of Soviet computing.

5. Are there any special events or programs offered at the museum?

Yes, the museum hosts various events and programs throughout the year, including workshops, lectures, and demonstrations, to educate visitors about Soviet computing and its impact on modern technology.