Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Russkies are going to the moon!

1. Jan 26, 2006 #1
    [SOLVED] Russkies are going to the moon!

The head of Energia, Nikolay Sevastyanov, is planning to build a nuclear-powered moon base by 2015, so that they can extract lunar [tex]^3He[/tex] and send it back to earth.

http://english.pravda.ru/science/19/94/379/16403_moon.html
    http://en.rian.ru/science/20050727/40986242.html
    http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/65F240F9-CC80-4677-93D6-EBCACE8E7A45.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitali_Sevastyanov

Can you say "space race"?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2006 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt...

-Wayne

4. Jan 26, 2006 #3
    Why is Helium 3 so important? I know it can be used for fusion but isnt the temperature required for helium 3 fusion WAY higher than for the experimental reactors we have now? Wouldnt it be alot harder to make fusion work with helium 3? Or

5. Jan 26, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He-3 is also very useful for cryogenics. It becomes inordinately costly (in terms of pumping capability) to get much lower than 1K using He-4. With He-3 you can get down to about 0.25K.

6. Jan 26, 2006 #5

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By 2015? Good luck with that, Nikolai.

And a permanent moonbase? They're going to spend billions and billions and billions, just to set up a site which will run out of product in a few years? And then they need to spend more billions to keep it supplied? How much do they think this is going to net them?

7. Jan 26, 2006 #6
    they don't have billions and billions and billions, last I heard

8. Jan 26, 2006 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm surprised 3-He can't somehow be manufactured down here on earth with particle accelerators. Anyone have any comments about (perhaps theoretical) technology that could achieve this?

And what else is 3-He used for beyond cryogenics? Surely that's too small a market to support a colony on the moon!

- Warren

9. Jan 26, 2006 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I'm not mistaken, most He3 is produced as a decay product of tritium (which is made by any country that has H-bomb technology)

On this I'm less sure, but I believe the speculation is that He3 based nuclear power generation (from a fusion reactor, no less) could become a reality.

10. Jan 26, 2006 #9
    There are other things that they can use the moon base for.They can use it as outpost/trade center (if we ever build a colony form the moon) we could use it so we can manufacter stuff that would needed for other colonies which can be easily transported to other colonies becaues of lower gravity and no atmosphere.
    But I still don't think any they will have the money to build anything in space.I don't think they even what kind of spacecraft there going to use to transport the stuff(A shuttle a russian rocket whould not be effective enough for transporting 3-he back from the moon)
    I wonder what polticans are going say about this.I wonder whoose tax since the U.N. said that space is property of all mankind(I think there's a treaty that said that)Or whoose going be the Law enfrocment.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  11. Jan 26, 2006 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, scott1, the advantage of a "trading post" on the Moon has been pretty thoroughly debunked. It would be energetically preferrable to send goods directly from point A to point B, rather than routing them through a Moon base. Keep in mind that you're dealing with gravity and gravitational potential energy, not just distance.

- Warren

12. Jan 26, 2006 #11

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, manufacturing would be much easier on the moon than in zero-g. Still, we'd need something _to_ manufacture up there to justify the delta-V needed to land the raw materials and launch the finished products.

13. Jan 26, 2006 #12

Danger

Gold Member

The impression that I got from Scott's post was of a depot for other moonbases, not orbital ones, in which case it wouldn't be a bad idea at all. As for the landing of raw materials, isn't lunar mining supposed to be the source?

14. Jan 26, 2006 #13
    Wow, that’s an even dumber statement than bush saying he wants to send men to mars. <Claps for Russia> congratulations, you just out did our outlandish space goals!

I was wondering what kept flying out of my butt too.

15. Jan 26, 2006 #14

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, there isn't that much there... plus it would be extremely costly and dangerous.

Just look what happened in the US in the last month or two. Can you imagine trying to mine in a full spacesuit where the slightest puncture would be game over?

What would you do when your equipment breaks down? You can't exactly call in a repairman.

16. Jan 26, 2006 #15

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's up with all the negative comments?

If actually plans on doing this, LET HIM!

Who is he going to hire? Well, scientist and engineers found on this website and around the world.

If he's going to create jobs for us, shut the hell up.

17. Jan 26, 2006 #16
    I actually think it would be less dangeous.The 3-He that there looking for is from the suns cosmic waves which would mean that it's closer to the surface and They are already craters on the moon which would make it easier to stirp mine which probally be the safiest way of mining on the moon.What would do instead wearing spacesuit when stirp mining is that build somthing like those things that use to clean window on tall buildings with make so that you can have oxygen in that would be alot easier to move with then a spacesuit.

18. Jan 26, 2006 #17

19. Jan 26, 2006 #18

...if you want to go to russia and be owned by the company and the mob be my guest.

20. Jan 26, 2006 #19

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because of the date listed. Even if humans don't do the digging, they'd still need to do the maintanence.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  21. Jan 26, 2006 #20

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are mine accidents even in strip mines. They're just not typically fatal.

On the moon, things get a lot trickier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?