Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rusting of Magnesium

1. Aug 30, 2004 #1
    Hi I was wondering what would be the equation for the rusting of magnesium?

I did an experiment where an iron nail was covered by a strip of magnesium and was put into diluted NaOCl (diluted sodium hypochlorite solution). Apparently the magnesium protects the iron from rusting and hence rusts instead.

Thanks,

Tanya

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2004 #2
    reply from HONG KONG CHEM LOVER

Hi I was wondering what would be the equation for the rusting of magnesium?

I did an experiment where an iron nail was covered by a strip of magnesium and was put into diluted NaOCl (diluted sodium hypochlorite solution). Apparently the magnesium protects the iron from rusting and hence rusts instead.

1st: NaOCl+ H2O <>(reversible) NaCl + 2OH-
    2nd: Mg + 2OH->MgO (rust) +H2O
    is it right, i am not sure

4. Aug 30, 2004 #3

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello

I am not sure the equations in the first reply is totally correct, the products are okay though; hypochlorite has 1+ valence on chlorine, but chloride consists 1- valence. So there has to be a redox chemistry, and therefore, a reduction step. The electrons must have released from magnesium atom, so magnesium atom must undergo an oxidation step. Let me summarize these below:

Mg ---> Mg2+ + 2e-
    NaClO + 2e- + H2O ---> NaCl + 2OH-

Mg + NaClO + H2O---> Mg(OH)2 + NaCl

But magnesium oxide may also be produced if the temperature of the medium is sufficiently high to cause dehydratation (water removal):

Mg(OH)2 ---> MgO + H2O

PS: Please note that this approach is the ideal one; you may also predict that mixed products like Mg(OH)Cl and MgCl2 are likely to occur, but with a limited probablity. Therefore, sodium hydroxide is another possible side product.

Regards
    chem_tr

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  5. Aug 30, 2004 #4
    YES~ mine one is incorrect..

sorry, i hve overlooked the Cl in OCl is +1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?