1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rusting of Magnesium

1. Aug 30, 2004 #1
    Hi I was wondering what would be the equation for the rusting of magnesium?

I did an experiment where an iron nail was covered by a strip of magnesium and was put into diluted NaOCl (diluted sodium hypochlorite solution). Apparently the magnesium protects the iron from rusting and hence rusts instead.

Thanks,

Tanya

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2004 #2
    reply from HONG KONG CHEM LOVER

Hi I was wondering what would be the equation for the rusting of magnesium?

I did an experiment where an iron nail was covered by a strip of magnesium and was put into diluted NaOCl (diluted sodium hypochlorite solution). Apparently the magnesium protects the iron from rusting and hence rusts instead.

1st: NaOCl+ H2O <>(reversible) NaCl + 2OH-
    2nd: Mg + 2OH->MgO (rust) +H2O
    is it right, i am not sure

4. Aug 30, 2004 #3

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello

I am not sure the equations in the first reply is totally correct, the products are okay though; hypochlorite has 1+ valence on chlorine, but chloride consists 1- valence. So there has to be a redox chemistry, and therefore, a reduction step. The electrons must have released from magnesium atom, so magnesium atom must undergo an oxidation step. Let me summarize these below:

Mg ---> Mg2+ + 2e-
    NaClO + 2e- + H2O ---> NaCl + 2OH-

Mg + NaClO + H2O---> Mg(OH)2 + NaCl

But magnesium oxide may also be produced if the temperature of the medium is sufficiently high to cause dehydratation (water removal):

Mg(OH)2 ---> MgO + H2O

PS: Please note that this approach is the ideal one; you may also predict that mixed products like Mg(OH)Cl and MgCl2 are likely to occur, but with a limited probablity. Therefore, sodium hydroxide is another possible side product.

Regards
    chem_tr

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  5. Aug 30, 2004 #4
    YES~ mine one is incorrect..

sorry, i hve overlooked the Cl in OCl is +1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?