1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rutherford cross section in CM frame

1. Jan 11, 2013 #1
    Hi

I need to plot the (differential) Rutherford cross section as a function of the scattering angle in the CM frame. the reaction is a typical projectile on stationary target. I know the projectile energy in the lab, θcm and the masses. I am confused over which energy to use though.

I know that

[itex]\frac{dσ}{dΩ}=\left(\frac{zZe^{2}}{16\pi\epsilon_{0}E}\right)^{2}*csc(\frac{\theta_{cm}}{2})^{4}[/itex]

In the following m and M are the masses of projectile and target respectivly and Tp is the projectile kinetic energy in the lab frame.

Should I use the projectile energy converted to CM?
    [itex]E=\left(\frac{M}{m+M}\right)^{2}*T_{p}[/itex]

The kinetic energy of the CM frame?
    [itex]E=\left(\frac{m}{m+M}\right)*T_{p}[/itex]

The total kinetic energy in the CM frame?
    [itex]E=\frac{\sqrt{2MT_{p}+\left(m+M\right)^{2}}}{m+M}[/itex]

or something else?

I have looked in several textbooks and googled but have just become more confused since I have seen E defined as "total kinetic enrgy","projectile energy" or just "energy of the particles".

Any help to clear this up would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?