Solving: What is Missing in Rutherford Formula?

In summary, Arthur Beiser's "Concepts of Modern Physics", 4th ed. presents a formula, known as the Rutherford formula, which relates the number of alpha particles detected per unit area to the angle of scattering \theta. The formula takes into account factors such as the thickness of the foil, number of gold atoms, kinetic energy of the alpha particles, distance between target and screen, and total number of alpha particles during the experiment. It is important to note that as \theta approaches 0, the number of particles per unit area diverges due to the shape of the area associated with the angle. This may cause confusion, but the formula accurately reflects this behavior.
SredniVashtar
In "Concepts of Modern Physics", 4th ed., Arthur Beiser obtains the following Rutherford formula

[tex]
N[\theta ] =
\frac
{
\left( \frac{q^2}{8 \pi \epsilon_0} \right)^2
\left( n d Z^2 \right)
N_0
}
{
T^2 \left( r^2 \sin ^4 \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right) \right)
}
[/tex]

relating the number of alpha particles detected per unit area to the angle of scattering [tex]\theta[/tex]. Here, d is the thickness of the foil, n is the number of gold atoms per unit volume, T is the kinetic energy of the alpha particles, r is the distance target-screen and [tex]N_0[/tex] is the total number of alpha particles that strike the foil during the experiment.
The number of particles per unit area around the direction at an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] is inversely proportional to the fourth power of the sin of [tex]\frac{\theta}{2}[/tex].

My problem is that I don't understand why [tex]N\left(\theta\right)[/tex] diverges when [tex]\theta[/tex] goes to 0. Shouldn't I get a finite number, smaller than [tex]N_0[/tex], of particles per unit area ?
What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I guess I was missing the shape of the area associated with the angle [tex]\theta[/tex].

1. What is the Rutherford formula?

The Rutherford formula, also known as the Rutherford scattering formula, is an equation used to calculate the angle at which a small, charged particle is deflected when it passes through a static electric field. It was developed by physicist Ernest Rutherford in the early 20th century to explain the results of his famous gold foil experiment.

2. What is missing in the Rutherford formula?

The Rutherford formula is missing the concept of quantum mechanics, which was not yet discovered at the time of its development. This means that it does not accurately describe the behavior of subatomic particles, such as electrons, which exhibit wave-like properties.

3. How does the Rutherford formula work?

The Rutherford formula uses the Coulomb force equation to calculate the force between two charged particles. This force is then used to determine the angle at which a particle will be deflected by an electric field, based on the distance between the particles and the charge of each particle.

4. What is the significance of the Rutherford formula?

The Rutherford formula was a major breakthrough in understanding the structure of the atom. It showed that the atom is mostly empty space, with a small, dense nucleus at the center. This discovery paved the way for further research in nuclear physics and led to the development of the modern model of the atom.

5. Are there any limitations to the Rutherford formula?

Yes, the Rutherford formula has limitations in its application to subatomic particles. It does not take into account the wave-particle duality of electrons and other particles, and it cannot fully explain the behavior of particles in quantum systems. Scientists have since developed more advanced theories, such as quantum mechanics, to better understand the behavior of particles at the atomic level.