Rutherford scattering differential probability function

In summary, we have calculated the number of alpha particles hitting the area A in one hour to be 1.843776 \dots * 10^{-51}.
Uniquebum

Homework Statement

Spray of alpha particles hit a gold membrane whose density is [itex]\rho[/itex] and thickness d, with a kinetic energy of [itex]E_k[/itex]. The spray's intensity is I. Alpha particles are measured from an area of A which is set R away from the membrane. If [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the spray hitting the membrane and the center of the area A, what is the amount of alpha particles hitting the area A in one hour when [itex]\theta[/itex] = 10 degrees.

Homework Equations

The propability equation for alpha particles going into an angle of [itex]\theta[/itex] after hitting the membrane.

[itex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}[/itex] = [itex](\frac{z*Z*e^2}{8*\pi*\epsilon*M*v^2})^2*\frac{1}{sin(\theta/2)^4}[/itex]
Where z = alpha particle's charge, Z = gold's atomic number, M = alpha particle's mass and \epsilon = vacuum permittivity

[itex]\rho = 19.3(g/cm^3), M_{au} = 197u, Z_{au} = 79, d = 0.1*10^{-6}m, I = 10^4(Particles/Second), A = 1.0cm^2, R = 10cm[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I would assume the straight forward way of doing this would be to calculate the probability for the particles to hit the angle and then multiply that with the intensity and then multiply that with 60s*60min to get the particles per one hour.

First i changed the equation to this form. ( z = 2e and i added 2*0.5 = 1 to the denominator)
[itex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}[/itex] = [itex](\frac{2e*79*e^2}{8*\pi*\epsilon*0.5*2*M*v^2})^2 * \frac{1}{sin(\theta/2)^4}[/itex]

Thus i can just throw in the kinetic energy to the denominator and make it look like
[itex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}[/itex] = [itex](\frac{79*e^3}{8*\pi*\epsilon*E_k})^2*\frac{1}{sin(\theta/2)^4}[/itex]

And after putting the numbers in i get [itex]\approx 5.1216 \dots * 10^{-62}[/itex]
That's most likely not correct. Anyone care to help?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I can help you with calculating the number of alpha particles hitting the area A in one hour when \theta = 10 degrees.

First, let's start with the given information. We have the density of the gold membrane (\rho), its thickness (d), the kinetic energy of the alpha particles (E_k), the intensity of the spray (I), the area A, and the distance R. We also have the equation for the probability of the particles hitting at an angle \theta, which you have correctly rewritten in a simpler form.

To calculate the number of particles hitting the area A in one hour, we need to consider the following factors:

1. The number of alpha particles that pass through the membrane: This can be calculated by multiplying the intensity (I) by the time (1 hour = 3600 seconds). This gives us the total number of particles passing through the membrane in one hour.

2. The probability of the particles hitting at an angle \theta: This is given by the equation \frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega} = (\frac{79*e^3}{8*\pi*\epsilon*E_k})^2*\frac{1}{sin(\theta/2)^4}. This gives us the likelihood of the particles hitting at an angle \theta after passing through the membrane.

3. The area of A: This is given by 1.0 cm^2.

Therefore, the number of particles hitting the area A in one hour can be calculated as:
Number of particles = Intensity * Time * Probability * Area
= I * 3600 * (\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}) * A
= 10^4 * 3600 * 5.1216 \dots * 10^{-62} * 1.0
= 1.843776 \dots * 10^{-51}

Note: You were correct in your calculation, but you forgot to include the time factor (3600 seconds) and the area factor (1.0 cm^2) in your final equation. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the Rutherford scattering differential probability function?

The Rutherford scattering differential probability function is a mathematical expression that describes the probability of a particle being scattered at a specific angle during a collision with a target nucleus. It is a fundamental equation in nuclear physics and is used to understand the behavior of subatomic particles.

How is the Rutherford scattering differential probability function derived?

The Rutherford scattering differential probability function is derived using the principles of classical mechanics and the Coulomb force between charged particles. It takes into account the mass and charge of the particles, as well as the distance between them during the collision.

What factors affect the Rutherford scattering differential probability function?

The Rutherford scattering differential probability function is affected by various factors, including the energy of the incident particle, the atomic number of the target nucleus, and the scattering angle. These factors can impact the likelihood of a particle being scattered at a particular angle.

Why is the Rutherford scattering differential probability function important?

The Rutherford scattering differential probability function is important because it helped scientists understand the structure of the atom, specifically the presence of a dense, positively charged nucleus. It also paved the way for the development of quantum mechanics and our current understanding of subatomic particles.

How is the Rutherford scattering differential probability function used in experiments and practical applications?

The Rutherford scattering differential probability function is used in various experiments and practical applications, such as in particle accelerators and nuclear reactors. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, to study the behavior of particles in the body.