Rutherford scattering and nuclear physics

In summary, the distance of closest approach d, in Rutherford scattering leading to an angle of deflection Θ ,is given by : d=p\2(1+cosecΘ\2)
uae
hi,

i am a new student here in this forums from uae and i am studing in uaeu my majore is general physics >>>

in this corse i have problem in nuclier physics in rutherford scattering >>>
can you help ma pleaseeeee the problem are :

firest one is :

Show that the distance of closest approach d, in Rutherford scattering leading to an angle of deflection Θ ,is given by :

http://www5.0zz0.com/2007/10/06/11/92260925.gif [Broken]

d=p\2(1+cosecΘ\2)
Where p is defined in fig .
(use the conservation of energy and angular momentum)

secound one is :

Show that the Rutherford differential scattering cross-section formula can be written in terms of the squared momentum transfer q^2 as
Dσ\dq^2=4πZzα^2(ЋC)^2\q^4ν^2
Where αis the fine – structure constant and v is velocity of the deflected particle

thank you for all in this forums

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
if this is homework question you should post it there, and also show work done / attempt to solution.

can you help me to solve it pleasez my doctor need it tomorow

how to solve it give me some idia

Use the relation that closes approach means that the kinetic energy of the alpha is zero so you only have potential energy; that is given by the Coloumb law, and Angular momentum L = mvr

d=p\2(1+cosecΘ\2)
Where p is defined in fig .

Where is p in fig? p = mv; i.e linear momentum.

Hi

http://www5.0zz0.com/2007/10/08/17/78054290.jpg [Broken]

P IN RATHERFORD SCUTTERING IN FIG.

but p=Zze^2/4(3.14)EokE

Eo=8.85*10^-12C^2/N-m^2

Last edited by a moderator:
i have no idea what you are talking about now or writing. Can you define all constants that you are using?

What is Eo? There is no structure in your work now..

This derivation is done in millions of textbooks in introductory nuclear physics, and also in some books in classical mechanics to (this is the classical Rutherford-scattering-crossection we are discussing now)

Epsilon is εo=8.85*10^-12C^2/N-m^2

You have still not structured all the forumulas and made them readble, and also you have not show any work done.

Perhaps you should try google it, or consult a textbook from you library, in this way you can't get help here.

ok thank you

Hi,
I am also wondering about the first question 'uae' posed. Since he did not explain it correctly, I will elaborate a bit. 'p' is the distance of closest approach for b = 0 (b is the impact parameter). At this point, the incident kinetic energy is transformed into potential energy in the coulomb field.
So I have: 1/2mv^2 = (Zze^2)/(4piEop) where Z is atomic number, z is charge, e is value of electron, Eo is permittivity of vacuum. This gets further reduced to a value of
p = (Zze^2)/(4piEoT) where T is the kinetic energy.
Now I get confused. I'm asuming I will have to use conservation of energy, as well as angular momentum, but how? This question is not really proved in any textbooks that I have seen, at least not in the format of how I am to report the answer. Any help would be awesome, thanks!

can anybody explain rutherford scattering in classical mechanics?

1. What is Rutherford scattering?

Rutherford scattering is a type of particle scattering that was first observed by physicist Ernest Rutherford in 1911. It involves firing a beam of particles (usually alpha particles) at a thin target and observing the deflection of the particles as they pass through the target. This experiment provided evidence for the existence of the atomic nucleus.

2. How does Rutherford scattering relate to nuclear physics?

Rutherford scattering is an important concept in nuclear physics because it provides evidence for the structure of the atom. By observing the deflection of alpha particles, Rutherford was able to determine that the atom is mostly empty space with a small, dense nucleus at its center. This discovery paved the way for further advancements in nuclear physics.

3. What is the significance of Rutherford's gold foil experiment?

Rutherford's gold foil experiment, which involved firing alpha particles at a thin sheet of gold foil, was a crucial experiment in the development of nuclear physics. By observing the scattering pattern of the alpha particles, Rutherford was able to determine that the atom's positive charge and most of its mass are concentrated in a small, dense nucleus. This experiment provided evidence for the atomic model we use today.

4. How does Rutherford scattering demonstrate the electromagnetic force?

Rutherford scattering demonstrates the electromagnetic force by showing how particles with like charges (such as the positively charged alpha particles and the positively charged nucleus) repel each other. This is in accordance with Coulomb's law, which states that like charges repel each other with a force that decreases with distance.

5. What are some real-world applications of Rutherford scattering and nuclear physics?

Rutherford scattering and nuclear physics have many real-world applications, including medical imaging techniques such as X-rays and PET scans, nuclear power generation, and nuclear weapons. Understanding the principles of Rutherford scattering and nuclear physics is also crucial in fields such as astrophysics and particle physics.