1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rutherford's experiment

1. Jul 15, 2013 #1
    everyone of us know that rutherford gave his own atomic model from the results of gold foil scattering experiment.
    my doubt is ,

1.how was he able to see the alpha particles deflected ? (important doubt )
    2.does alpha-decay happened to emit alpha particles in the radium he took ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

From the Wikipedia article about the experiment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiger%E2%80%93Marsden_experiment): [Broken]

When an alpha particle hit the screen, it produced a small flash of light.

Can you re-phrase your question? It's not clear to me what you're asking.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jul 15, 2013 #3
  5. Jul 17, 2013 #4
    Thanks Alot :)

sure .. rutherford used radium which emitted the alpha particles ( right ? ) . then , how does the alpha particles emitted ? does they emitted by radioactivity ( alpha-decay) ?

thanks in advance :)

6. Jul 17, 2013 #5
  7. Jul 18, 2013 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I don't know whether he used radium or something else. To find out, I'd have to do a Google search on something like "rutherford experiment alpha source" and hope that it leads me to a detailed description of Rutherford's apparatus beyond what's in Wikipedia. But you can just as well do that search yourself. :wink:

It might depend on what the source material actually was (radium or something else). However, the only processes I know that emit alpha particles are alpha decay and some nuclear fission reactions. I doubt Rutherford used a fission reaction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook