Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rutherford's experiment

1. Jul 15, 2013 #1
    everyone of us know that rutherford gave his own atomic model from the results of gold foil scattering experiment.
    my doubt is ,

1.how was he able to see the alpha particles deflected ? (important doubt )
    2.does alpha-decay happened to emit alpha particles in the radium he took ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

From the Wikipedia article about the experiment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiger%E2%80%93Marsden_experiment): [Broken]

When an alpha particle hit the screen, it produced a small flash of light.

Can you re-phrase your question? It's not clear to me what you're asking.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jul 15, 2013 #3
  5. Jul 17, 2013 #4
    Thanks Alot :)

sure .. rutherford used radium which emitted the alpha particles ( right ? ) . then , how does the alpha particles emitted ? does they emitted by radioactivity ( alpha-decay) ?

thanks in advance :)

6. Jul 17, 2013 #5
  7. Jul 18, 2013 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I don't know whether he used radium or something else. To find out, I'd have to do a Google search on something like "rutherford experiment alpha source" and hope that it leads me to a detailed description of Rutherford's apparatus beyond what's in Wikipedia. But you can just as well do that search yourself. :wink:

It might depend on what the source material actually was (radium or something else). However, the only processes I know that emit alpha particles are alpha decay and some nuclear fission reactions. I doubt Rutherford used a fission reaction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook