Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rwandans jailed for 'Hate Media'

1. Dec 3, 2003 #1

Three Rwandan media executives have been found guilty of inciting violence during the genocide of 1994.
    That was "Radio Television Libre des Mille Collines"

What do you think? is this a good precedent? or blocking freedom of speach (even though it was genocidal)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2003 #2

Science Advisor

Freedom of speech is an inaccurate phrase. There are plenty of limitations on speech here in the US. You are not free to threaten people, it is assault. You are not free to plan crimes, that is conspiracy. You are not free to slander.

If the media in Rwanda had merely disparaged Tutsis, or even made up maligning stories about them, that would be one thing. They actually told people to go out and commit genocide. That is crimminal in my opinion. It is certainly right that they are proscecuted.

4. Dec 3, 2003 #3
    I'm not sure I agree with this...but I certainly understand it. If they had been leading the mob in person, the charges would be obvious, but over the radio makes them a bit less directly related to the specific incidences.
  5. Dec 3, 2003 #4

Well, I'm glad to see it, but at the same time..as it is an international tribunal..it sets a precedent for future cases. It will be interesting to see how that impacts in the future. Also, it's important to note that it was not just radio but also the editor of Kangura magazine. What defines "guilty of using the media to incite violence"? how should it be limited?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?