1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rydberg Series for Hg I

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find wavelengths for Hg I lines belonging to one Rydberg series. We must use the NIST homepage to find the relevant wavelengths.

2. Relevant equations

The problem I'm having is understanding exactly what a Rydberg series is. I seem to lack an understanding of Spectroscopic notation, and how it applies to this problem. I'm guessing I need to know the relevant atomic states that correspond to transitions in a Rydberg series. But, I don't know what a 'state' is..

We are given the example 6s6p 1P1 - 6sns 1S0. I'll try to breakdown what I understand.

6s6p refers to some electronic configuration of Hg I. 1P1 refers to some excited state.

6sns, not exactly sure what this means, but maybe n > 6 and thus this refers to some other electronic configuration. 1S0 refers to an excited state?

If I can understand the meaning of the example, then I should be able to understand which state transitions correspond to a Rydberg series. Consequently, I can find the needed wavelengths myself.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?