1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rydberg's constant

1. Aug 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Note: Questions is targeted at Balmer series only (ie, shell 6 --> 2 )

Given the Rydberg formula, 1[tex]/[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex]=R[1[tex]/[/tex](nf)2-1[tex]/[/tex](ni)2], describe a way of using a graphical method to determine the value of R.

Where nf=final shell (should always be 2 for Balmer series)
    ni= initial shell (any shell from 6-->3)
    [tex]\lambda[/tex]=Wavelength
    R=Rydberg's constant

2. Relevant equations

Umm, I gave it above.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure...I understand the formula, I've done questions relating on the use of the formula, I have a good knowledge of the Balmer Series (as in Shell 3 --> 2 is given H[tex]\alpha[/tex], then 4-2 beta, etc), I know the empirical value of Rydberg's constant, but sadly I am completely stumped on how to do this. I'm pretty sure that this is done using gradients, but do not know what represents the Y and X values on the graph. Help will be much appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi sintered, welcome to PF.

The assumption here is that you have a bunch of wavelengths from the hydrogen emission spectrum. You also know the Rydberg formula, but you don't know the value of R.

Question 1: Can you match nf values with wavelengths?

Usually situations like this are approached by "linearizing" the equation, i.e. bringing the equation into the form

y = a x + b

and fitting a straight line through the data points. Look at the formula.

Question 2: Can you picture in your mind what could possibly y and x be?

Once you have that, it should be easy to see what a and b ought to be.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  4. Aug 30, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the welcome Kuru! I think I get it now =].

From the wavelengths provided the values of nf and ni can be deduced (probably from the provided info and knowledge of Balmer Series), and then if you let y=1/[tex]\lambda[/tex] and x=1/(nf)2-1/(ni)2, then the value of X can be obtained and plotted on the X axis (?) with the corresponding value of the inverse wavelength on the Y axis (?). Rydberg's constant can then be obtained from the gradient.

I'm not sure if this is what you were hinting but its kind of making sense now. I won't ask you to provide everything in clarity, as this will be one of the topics in an upcoming assessment =D.

5. Aug 30, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are on the right track. Good luck with your upcoming assessment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook