Find Rydberg's Constant Using Graphical Method

• Thread starter Sintered
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the equation y = a x + b can be solved for x by letting y=1/\lambda and x=1/(nf)2-1/(ni)2 and solving for b. Rydberg's constant can then be found by taking the gradient of the equation.
Sintered

Homework Statement

Note: Questions is targeted at Balmer series only (ie, shell 6 --> 2 )

Given the Rydberg formula, 1[tex]/[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex]=R[1[tex]/[/tex](nf)2-1[tex]/[/tex](ni)2], describe a way of using a graphical method to determine the value of R.

Where nf=final shell (should always be 2 for Balmer series)
ni= initial shell (any shell from 6-->3)
[tex]\lambda[/tex]=Wavelength
R=Rydberg's constant

Homework Equations

Umm, I gave it above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure...I understand the formula, I've done questions relating on the use of the formula, I have a good knowledge of the Balmer Series (as in Shell 3 --> 2 is given H[tex]\alpha[/tex], then 4-2 beta, etc), I know the empirical value of Rydberg's constant, but sadly I am completely stumped on how to do this. I'm pretty sure that this is done using gradients, but do not know what represents the Y and X values on the graph. Help will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sintered, welcome to PF.

The assumption here is that you have a bunch of wavelengths from the hydrogen emission spectrum. You also know the Rydberg formula, but you don't know the value of R.

Question 1: Can you match nf values with wavelengths?

Usually situations like this are approached by "linearizing" the equation, i.e. bringing the equation into the form

y = a x + b

and fitting a straight line through the data points. Look at the formula.

Question 2: Can you picture in your mind what could possibly y and x be?

Once you have that, it should be easy to see what a and b ought to be.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome Kuru! I think I get it now =].

From the wavelengths provided the values of nf and ni can be deduced (probably from the provided info and knowledge of Balmer Series), and then if you let y=1/[tex]\lambda[/tex] and x=1/(nf)2-1/(ni)2, then the value of X can be obtained and plotted on the X axis (?) with the corresponding value of the inverse wavelength on the Y axis (?). Rydberg's constant can then be obtained from the gradient.

I'm not sure if this is what you were hinting but its kind of making sense now. I won't ask you to provide everything in clarity, as this will be one of the topics in an upcoming assessment =D.

You are on the right track. Good luck with your upcoming assessment.

1. What is Rydberg's Constant?

Rydberg's Constant, denoted by the symbol R, is a fundamental physical constant that appears in the formula for the wavelengths of light emitted from hydrogen atoms. It is named after the Swedish physicist Johannes Rydberg, who first calculated its value in the late 19th century.

2. How is Rydberg's Constant related to the energy levels of atoms?

Rydberg's Constant is used to describe the energy levels of electrons in atoms. It is the proportionality constant in the Rydberg formula, which relates the energy levels of electrons to the wavelengths of light that they emit or absorb.

3. What is the graphical method for finding Rydberg's Constant?

The graphical method for finding Rydberg's Constant involves plotting the wavelengths of light emitted by hydrogen atoms against their corresponding energy levels, and then using the slope of the resulting straight line to calculate the value of R.

4. Why is the graphical method useful for finding Rydberg's Constant?

The graphical method allows for a visual representation of the relationship between energy levels and wavelengths, making it easier to understand and calculate Rydberg's Constant. It also takes into account experimental errors and can produce a more accurate result compared to other methods.

5. How can I use Rydberg's Constant to calculate the energy levels of other atoms?

Rydberg's Constant can be used to calculate the energy levels of any atom with only one electron, such as helium or lithium. However, it is important to note that for atoms with more than one electron, Rydberg's Constant will need to be modified to account for the interactions between electrons.