Is Sudden Adult Death Syndrome real?

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, the conversation discusses the fear of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome (SADS) and other low probability dangers such as being struck by lightning, bird droppings, and nuclear war. The conversation also mentions the potential life-saving technique of coughing during a heart attack and the danger of using a telephone during an electrical storm. The conversation ends with a humorous anecdote about a bird defecating on one of the participants.
jimmy p
Gold Member
Sudden Adult Death Syndrome. does this not scare the crap out of you?

Biology news on Phys.org
I just found out through googling that 1 in 20 cardiac-related deaths are caused by this! And I thought that it happened only to babies!

You heard about that 24 yr old Hungarian professional soccer player who passed away while playing soccer? The same thing happened to one of my friends when her coach just dropped down on the field a few months ago.

Although unrelated to cardiac arrest, I always carry aspirins around.. it is the first thing a hospital will give you when you arrive with blood cloths (I've heard). It's a small thing and it can save lifes.

i live in fear of S.A.D.S. almost as much as i fear birds pooing on me. But it is scary. You drop down dead for no apparent reason. It's frightening cos i don't think anything can be done to save you, even if you are healthy!

I was amazed when a doctor commented some years ago that every day people die and we have no idea why they died.

No fear though; we all have about a 1:36,500 chance of dying any given day.

Fear lightning when on a wired telephone. That's worth worrying about.

Last edited:
Interesting statistic I read the other day, it is much safer to jump out of an airplane (with a parachute that is) than to step into a car, with regard to the chance of dying. I believe the jumping out of an airplane was about 8 times safer.

My prev roommate once sent this to me:

>If everyone who gets this sends it to 10 people,
> you can bet that we'll save at least one life. Read
>this...It could save your life.
>
> Let's say it's 6.15 pm and you're driving home
> (alone of course) after an unusually hard day on the
>job. You're really tired, and frustrated.
>
> Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in
>your chest that starts to radiate out into your arm
>and up into your jaw.
>
> You are only five miles from the hospital nearest
> your home. Unfortunately you don't know if you'll be
>able to make it that far. You have been trained in
>CPR, but the guy that taught the course did not tell
>you how to perform it on yourself.
>
> HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE.
>
> Since many people are alone when they suffer a
> heart attack, without help,
>
> the person whose heart is beating improperly and
> who begins to feel faint,
>
> has only about 10 seconds left before losing
> conscious. However, these
>
> victims can help themselves by coughing
>repeatedly
> and very vigorously. A
>
> deep breath should be taken before each cough,
> the
>cough must be deep and
>
> prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside
>the chest. A breath
>
> and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds
>without let-up until
>
> help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be
> beating normally again.
>
> Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and
> coughing movements squeeze the
>
>heart and keep the blood circulating. The
>squeezing pressure on the heart
>
>also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way,
>heart attack victims can
>
>get to a hospital. Tell as many other people as
>possible about this. It
>
>could save their lives !
>
>Don't ever think that you are not prone to heart
>attack as your age is
>
>less than 25 or 30. Nowadays due to the change
>in
>the life style, heart
>
> attack is found among people of all age groups.

Truly fearing such things as this SADS (Which I had never heard of!) or Nuclear war or lighting strikes Or a bird pooping on you or any other of the low probability ways of dying is a bit of a mystery to me. Especially if said worrying is done behind the wheel of a car.

If you worry about the low probability dangers, how in the world can you ever get in a car, or are you simply not able to let yourself comprehend just how dangerous that activity is?

Edit: for something I neglected the first try!

Last edited:
Integral,
I completely agree with your point. One caveat though is the issue of telephones and lightning. If an electrical storm is in your area the phone can be very dangerous. Typically, lightning kills more people each year than all other natural phenomena combined.

Aside from that singular issue, I will consider your thoughts while watching for any meteors that might hit my office.

used missed out my fear of birds pooing on me... which I am scared of more than SADS.

Ivan,
Good point, perhaps I am lucky to be alive! A few years back, when I was living PA, where they actually have lighting! I was talking with my mom (in Oregon) On the phone. There was a clap of thunder so loud and so close to me that mom heard it over the phone! At that point we decided to end the conversation!

Jimmy, read that post again!

Oh heck, what's a hundred million volts in the ear between friends?

yes, the telephone wires can carry a lethal shock for many miles...right into your ear. It does a great job of wax removal though.

Oh yeah, DUH silly me. I don't think i would die of bird poo, maybe embarrassment...

Today a bird poo-ed on me!
So much for statistics..

LOL!

What are the chances? and I mentioned it as well...must be an omen. beware the ides of March..dont worry, you have a month to prepare!

Man, that is freaky! Looks like I am going to stay in my house now.

March?

The poo hit my hand one inch to the left and I would've been washing my hair right now..

LOL that is really funny! You know, the Ides of March, Julius Caesar...the omen the soothsayer said...

Originally posted by Monique
Interesting statistic I read the other day, it is much safer to jump out of an airplane (with a parachute that is) than to step into a car, with regard to the chance of dying. I believe the jumping out of an airplane was about 8 times safer.

ahh I am risking my life. That and the last time a bird pooped on my was several months ago, I am doomed. Bad omens. :frown:

LOL better watch you back!

Originally posted by Monique
March?

The poo hit my hand one inch to the left and I would've been washing my hair right now..

Just be grateful that cows don't fly.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Integral,
I completely agree with your point. One caveat though is the issue of telephones and lightning. If an electrical storm is in your area the phone can be very dangerous. Typically, lightning kills more people each year than all other natural phenomena combined.
I had that happen to me once, lightning struck in the yard and I was on a corded phone, I was lucky only to get a bad shock.

I wasn't pooped on by a bird but I was at an outdoor cafe and a bird pooped in my drink and I didn't notice until I took a sip and felt something very odd in my mouth. Yes, it was a bird turd, pigeon I believe.

Birds are such RANK creatures! full of flu and stuff, and they don't care where they drop their load. It isn't just poo is it, don't birds only have one orifice?

1. Is Sudden Adult Death Syndrome (SADS) a real medical condition?

Yes, Sudden Adult Death Syndrome is a real medical condition. It is also known as Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndrome (SADS) and refers to the sudden and unexpected death of a seemingly healthy adult due to an underlying cardiac issue.

2. What causes Sudden Adult Death Syndrome?

The exact cause of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome is not fully understood, but it is believed to be caused by an abnormal heart rhythm or arrhythmia. This can be due to inherited genetic mutations, structural abnormalities in the heart, or other underlying health conditions.

3. Who is at risk for Sudden Adult Death Syndrome?

Sudden Adult Death Syndrome can affect anyone, but it is more common in individuals who have a family history of the condition or have an inherited cardiac disorder. It is also more prevalent in athletes and young adults.

4. What are the symptoms of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome?

Unfortunately, Sudden Adult Death Syndrome often has no warning signs or symptoms. However, some individuals may experience fainting, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, or chest pain before a sudden cardiac arrest occurs.

5. Can Sudden Adult Death Syndrome be prevented?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent Sudden Adult Death Syndrome, there are some measures that can lower the risk of sudden cardiac arrest. These include regular heart screenings, avoiding drugs and substances that can affect heart function, and managing underlying health conditions. In some cases, implantable cardiac devices or medications may be recommended.