Water on Mars: Separating Fact from Fiction - Textbook Deadline Approaching!

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars Water
In summary, the conversation revolves around the discussion of water on Mars and its presence in the past. The individual is helping edit a textbook with a deadline approaching and needs to verify some information about Mars. The conversation also touches on the idea that most of the water on Mars has escaped into space, but there is a possibility of some still being present in the form of aquifers or on the poles. The conversation also briefly mentions the individual's involvement in editing a Canadian grade school textbook.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm helping edit a textbook with a deadline in hours. Need to check some "prevailing wisdom" on Mars.

Did I hear recently that the jury is in on recent water found? That it's bone dry?

Unrelated question:

Is this an accurate statement? "...the surface of Mars once had lots of water. Most of that water probably escaped into space a long time ago."

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I'm helping edit a textbook with a deadline in hours. Need to check some "prevailing wisdom" on Mars.

Did I hear recently that the jury is in on recent water found? That it's bone dry?

Unrelated question:

Is this an accurate statement? "...the surface of Mars once had lots of water. Most of that water probably escaped into space a long time ago."

Thanks.

Yes, but some of the water MAY have gone into the ground in the form of aquifers, and there is also water on the poles (I'll need to check up on which one. One of the caps is CO2, and the other is mostly H2O). Just add that statement for now, but don't take my word on it. Go with whatever you think is right.

Sorry for the late response. Btw, what book is it?

It's some Canadian grade school textbook. MY friend is an editor.

What is the evidence for water on Mars?

There is strong evidence for the presence of water on Mars in the form of dried up riverbeds, minerals that can only form in the presence of water, and the presence of ice at the polar caps.

Is there currently liquid water on Mars?

While there is no conclusive evidence for liquid water on the surface of Mars, recent discoveries suggest that there may be small amounts of liquid water beneath the surface. This is still an area of ongoing research.

How did water on Mars disappear?

It is believed that the water on Mars disappeared due to a combination of factors, including the planet's small size, thin atmosphere, and distance from the sun. These factors led to the loss of the planet's magnetic field and the subsequent loss of its protective atmosphere.

Could there be life in the water on Mars?

While it is possible that microbial life could exist in the water on Mars, there is currently no evidence to support this theory. Further exploration and research is needed to determine if life exists on the Red Planet.

What are the implications of finding water on Mars?

The discovery of water on Mars has significant implications for our understanding of the planet's history and potential for habitability. It also raises the possibility of future human exploration and potential colonization of the planet.