Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

S(n) is not abelian

1. Apr 12, 2005 #1
    I'm having troubles with this problem here -

Show [tex]S_N[/tex] is not abelian for any [tex] n >= 3[/tex]

now right now, im simply lost, of course its late at night so that might be why, so if some help could be provided that would be appreciated, also i would like it if you didnt simply give the proof, but also explained it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Experiment. :smile: Start with S_3 and try to find two permutations that don't commute. Then, try S_4. Look for a pattern you can exploit.

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3
    eh. Once you've done S3, you're done, since Sn contains S3 as a subgroup.

5. Apr 13, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep. I'm hoping TsunamiJoe will notice that his example for S_3 will work for S_4 and all the others. :smile:

6. Apr 13, 2005 #5
    |~|will respond with answer tomarow, was stupid and left textbook at school|~|

7. Apr 13, 2005 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you need your textbook for this? You just need to know what kind of elements are in S_N and what abelian means.

8. Apr 18, 2005 #7
    |~| that was not the only exercise to work on, and i try to keep a train of thought when doing maths like these |~|

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?