Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

S&P 500 falls below 700

1. Mar 3, 2009 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2009 #2
    Is this a good time to sell my stocks yet. :rolleyes:

Its a great time to be in grad school. Although I wish I didn't lose 70% of my savings this past 6 months.

4. Mar 3, 2009 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I wouldn't go that far. Parts of the economy are more or less stable, but certainly things look unsteady. It will take a year or so for the economy to stabilize.

The equities markets could drop a little further, but probably not much more.

The point is not to panic, and not to do anything rash, like heading for the hills. It's time to step back, calmly look at ahead and make reasonable and rational decisions regarding the future.

5. Mar 3, 2009 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Very good advice. It's a very bad time to try to sell your house, making it really tough to head for the hills.

6. Mar 3, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We did nearly lose it all. As many here know, according to Paulson and Bernachy, we came within days of a complete collapse of the global economic system. Apparently we made it past that hurdle with the initial bailouts. Obama is now laying the groundwork for a sustained recovery. As that comes into play, hopefully the markets will eventually respond. For now we can only sit tight and hang on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook