S-R Bistable Q: Fast Gates & Unpredictability

• Thread starter bizuputyi
  • Start date
In summary, the question discusses how the insertion of two NAND gate inverters between ~Q and the input of gate 3 causes Q to become zero and ~Q to become one when the clock reverts to zero. It is believed that this is due to the propagation delay of the two extra inverters, which causes the inputs to gate 3 to become 1 before the earlier 0 is fed, resulting in Q becoming 1 and ~Q becoming 0. The question also mentions that gates 1 and 4 switch faster than gates 2 and 3, and it is suggested that the delay of the two NAND gates must be less than gates 2 and 3 to achieve Q = 0 and ~Q =
bizuputyi

Homework Statement

The question states that when S = R = 1 and clock = 1, both outputs are 1. When clock goes to zero, Q becomes 1 and ~Q becomes zero. But if two NAND gate inverters are placed between ~Q and the input of gate 3, when clock goes to zero, Q becomes zero and ~Q becomes 1. The question asks to account for that, they also say that assume gates 1 and 4 switch faster than gates 2 and 3.

2. The attempt at a solution

First I thought that the propagation delay of the two extra inverters would cause that but as they specifically say that gates 1 and 4 are faster than 2 and 3, the speed of the two branches should be equal with the extra gates. Does the question have to do anything with the fact that operation is unpredictable when both S and R = 1? Or is it the propagation delay?

Attachments

• SR.png
    SR.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 335
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it is happening because of the propagation delay of the two extra inverters. If you examine how the input propagates to each gate, you'll see the inverters' delay is responsible for the second case. Q- becomes 0 early, but due to propagation delay of the inverters, it becomes 1 before feeding the earlier 0 to gate 3. What exactly is the queation here?

They ask to explain with the two inverters inserted in why Q becomes zero and ~Q becomes 1 when the clock reverts to zero. So, again without the two inverters when clock reverts to zero, Q becomes 1 and ~Q becomes zero and with the inverters in this is the other way round. Why is this the case?
I believe its the propagation delay but not sure how to put it into words exactly.

Consider the second case. Q and Q- are initially 1. When CLK=0, output of gate 1 is 1, hence, inputs to gate 4 are now 1 and 1 which yields Q-=0. Due to delay of two nand gates, this 0 will not be fed to gate 3 immediately. Meanwhile, inputs to gate 3 will still be 1 and 1 and hence, Q will be 0. Q=0 will force Q- to become 1. So, Q- initially becomes 0 but can't feed it to gate 3 and by the time the 0 passes through two inverters, Q becomes 1 and forces Q- to become 0. Two nand gates should have more delay than the delay of gates 2 and 3.

Last edited:
That makes sense to me nicely. They specifically say that gate 1 and 4 switch faster than 2 and 3. If just assuming that switching time of 1 and 4 plus the two inverters equal to the time of 2 and 3, which case would happen when the clock goes to zero?

bizuputyi said:
That makes sense to me nicely. They specifically say that gate 1 and 4 switch faster than 2 and 3. If just assuming that switching time of 1 and 4 plus the two inverters equal to the time of 2 and 3, which case would happen when the clock goes to zero?
This means delay of two nand gates is less than the delay of 2 and 3.
bizuputyi said:
If just assuming that switching time of 1 and 4 plus the two inverters equal to the time of 2 and 3,
Take delay of 1,4 and the two nand gates to be 1nS and that of 2 and 3 to be 2 nS. Initially, S=R=Clk=Q=Q-=1. When CLK becomes 0, the inputs will propagate at different speeds and will generate a square wave at the outputs.Hence, in this case, it will be an astable multivibrator.

Last edited:
Ok, I see. In that case we don't assume that time delay 1,4 + time delay two NANDs = time delay 2,4.
Also to achieve Q = 0 and ~Q = 1 with clock falling to zero the delay of the two NANDs must be less than gate 2 and 3. And delay of 1,4 + NANDs > 2,3. Is that right?

bizuputyi said:
Ok, I see. In that case we don't assume that time delay 1,4 + time delay two NANDs = time delay 2,4.
When we took delays as 1nS and 2 nS in previous examples, it was for the case
delay 1,4+ delay two nands=time delay of 2, 3.
bizuputyi said:
Also to achieve Q = 0 and ~Q = 1 with clock falling to zero the delay of the two NANDs must be less than gate 2 and 3. And delay of 1,4 + NANDs > 2,3. Is that right?
I haven't verified it but sounds correct to me. You can do it by taking suitable delay values.

Last edited:

What is an S-R Bistable Q?

An S-R Bistable Q is a type of electronic circuit that has two stable states or outputs, which can be switched between using a set and reset input. This type of circuit is commonly used in memory devices, logic gates, and other electronic systems.

What are Fast Gates in relation to S-R Bistable Q?

Fast gates refer to the speed at which the S-R Bistable Q circuit can switch between its two stable states. They are designed to be very fast, allowing for quick and efficient processing of data and signals.

What is the Unpredictability of S-R Bistable Q?

The unpredictability of S-R Bistable Q refers to the fact that the output of the circuit can be influenced by external factors such as noise or interference. This can make it difficult to accurately predict the behavior of the circuit and may lead to errors in its operation.

How is S-R Bistable Q used in scientific research?

S-R Bistable Q circuits are commonly used in scientific research to study the behavior of complex systems and to model biological processes. They can also be used in experiments to test theories and hypotheses related to information processing and decision making.

What are the benefits of using S-R Bistable Q in electronic systems?

The use of S-R Bistable Q circuits in electronic systems allows for fast and efficient switching between states, making them ideal for applications where speed is important. They also have a simple design, low power consumption, and can be easily integrated into larger systems.