Is My Graphics Card Compatible with S-Video Resolution for My TV Monitor?

• Thread starter blimkie.k
  • Start date
In summary: I have a newer system with ATI HD4870 video card that includes a component output cable (it's connected to s-video connector) and will confirm if it can truly do 1920x1080x60i output later today.This is not a supported resolution by the graphics card, so the image will be blurry or just not fit on the screen.
blimkie.k
I am trying to use a 52" panasonic plasma tv as a monitor for a Dell PC via s-video because the TV does not have a VGA input. P4, Windows XP, 1GB of Ram.

The video card is a Geforce FX5200 with dual vga output and s-video, I also have the latest nvidia drivers for this video card.

I have a LCD set up beside the tv temporarily while I am trying to configure the TV monitor, the LCD is plugged into the stock display adapter.

The issue is the resolution or the size of the image displayed on the TV. The quality of the image is not what I am worried about that is actually pretty good.

The image will not align correctly, imagine your screen size is 52" but the image outputted by the graphics card via s-video being like 100+". It is simply too big to fit on the screen.

For choices of resolutions on in the windows settings and in the nvidia control planel I can choose from 640x480, 800x600, or 1024x768 however it will not accept 1024x768 it just reverts back.

I don't understand why I am unable to choose a higher or maybe even a resolution, it seems as if maybe the graphics card doesn't support an appropriate resolution for s video, because I am able to use an hdmi connection with my laptop to the tv perfectly but s video for my desktop does not display correctly at all.

Is there any other kind of software I could use, I somehow need to shrink the image by about 50%.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm surprised the video card puts out such high resolution on s-video, but not surprised the TV rejects it!
S-video is only meant for broadcast low-def TV (480i/576i US/Eu), 640x480 should work but won't be very sharp because the TV is only handling interlaced.
Above that you are probably getting something random depending on how many sync pulses get through and what the computer/TV happen to do without of spec signal.

I have an older ATI X850 video card. It's highest s-video resolution is 1024x768x60i, although I don't know what the actual resolution output is. In this case it appears that the card is assuming 1024x768 max resolution for the s-video output, so a desktop size greater than 1024x768 results in a virtual desktop on the TV, that scrolls to follow the mouse pointer. The software indicates HDTV as an option, but it must need some special connector to get beyond 1024x768. I tried the HD4870 video card's s-video to component cable but that didn't work.

I have a newer system with ATI HD4870 video card that includes a component output cable (it's connected to s-video connector) and will confirm if it can truly do 1920x1080x60i output later today.

Jeff Reid said:
I have a newer system with ATI HD4870 video card that includes a component output cable (it's connected to s-video connector) and will confirm if it can truly do 1920x1080x60i output later today.
The HD4870 uses a DVI to HDMI adapter or a 7-pin svideo sized connnector to HDTV component adapter cable. I did confirm the max resolution over the svideo was 1024x768 but this must be down converted to the actual resolution supported by NTSC or PAL standards.

1. What is S-video resolution?

S-video resolution is a type of video signal that is commonly used for connecting older devices, such as DVD players and gaming consoles, to a television or monitor.

2. How does S-video resolution differ from other types of video signals?

S-video resolution is an analog signal that carries separate brightness and color information, resulting in a clearer and sharper image compared to other analog signals like composite or RF.

3. Can S-video resolution be used for high-definition video?

No, S-video resolution is limited to standard definition video. It has a maximum resolution of 480i, which is much lower than the 1080i or 720p resolutions of high-definition video.

4. What can cause issues with S-video resolution?

Issues with S-video resolution can be caused by a variety of factors, such as improper connections, damaged cables, or incorrect settings on the device or display. Additionally, some newer devices may not have S-video output capabilities.

5. How can I improve the S-video resolution on my device?

If your device has S-video output capabilities, you can improve the resolution by using high-quality S-video cables and ensuring they are connected properly. You can also adjust the settings on your device and display to optimize the image quality.