1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

S vs P polarization

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    Let us imagine a surface, with X and Y axes on it and Z axis normal to it.
    well, the theory, (in my particular case, some article) says that S polarized light, propagating along the x-directioin possesses only electric field components, Ei, paralel to the surface (||y-direction), i.e. transversal electric waves have Ei=(0, Ey, 0), while P-polarized light has Ei=(Ex, 0, Ez).

The question:

I understand that S-polarized light, propagating along x-direction has only electric field components, Ei, paralel to the surface. Ei=(0, Ey, 0), since in case of s-polarization E is perpendicular to plane of incidence.

Also I understand that P-polarized light, propagating in the same x-direction has Ez component, since in case of P-polarization E is in the plane of incidence.

what I do not understand is, why p-polarized light has Ex component.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. Apr 29, 2010 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Apr 30, 2010 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Do you see the essential difference between s- and p- polarization? It's not the (x,y,z) components per se, it's whether or not the electric field is in the plane of incidence.

6. Apr 30, 2010 #5
    Essential difference I see perfectly. what I need is to describe this difference in terms of Ex, Ey and Ez.

Anyway, now I understand it, thanks for picture ;)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook