1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

S1 isomorphic to S1/Z2?

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    S1 isomorphic to S1/Z2??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This isn't really a homework problem, but whatever. So in my textbook, it says that "of course [tex]S^1/Z_2[/tex] is isomorphic to [tex]S^1[/tex]." I want to know why.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is [tex]S^1[/tex] even a group? Well I guess it can be a group, with multiplication as the operation ([tex]S^1[/tex] viewed as a subset of [tex]C[/tex]). But then the only map I can think of between the two is the projection [tex]p:S^1\rightarrow S^1/Z_2[/tex], where [tex]x\in S^1[/tex] is mapped to its obit under the action of [tex]Z_2[/tex]. But this map is clearly not injective since [tex]p(x)=p(-x)[/tex] for any [tex]x \in S^1[/tex].

If this is a typo in my book, then are the sets homeomorphic (maybe they wanted to use the symbol for homeomorphism instead of isomorphism)? What then is the map between them?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?