How do I find the value of delta in a delta epsilon proof using a graph?

In summary, based on the given information, it appears that if $-0.4$ is subtracted from the function and the absolute value of the result is less than 0.1, the function will be between the dashed lines at $y=0.3$ and $y=0.5$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Find a graph to a number $\delta$ such that
$$\textit{if }
|x-1|<\delta
\textit{ then }
\left|\dfrac{2x}{x^2+4}-0.4\right|<0.1
$$

ok I always had a very hard time doing these I did look at some examples but still ?
did a ibispaint drawing to start basically it looks like we are finding the dimenstions of box given the parameters

Untitled3_20200822115833.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's draw the function $\frac{2x}{x^2+4}$.

\begin{tikzpicture}[scale=5]
\draw[help lines] (0,0) grid[step=0.1] (2,0.5);
\draw[-latex] (-0.2,0) -- (2.1,0);
\draw[-latex] (0,-0.1) -- (0,0.6);
\draw foreach \i in {0.7,1,2} { (\i,0.5) -- (\i,0) node[ below ] {$\i$} };
\draw foreach \i in {0.3,0.4,0.5} { (2,\i) -- (0,\i) node[ left ] {$\i$} };
\draw[domain=-0.2:2.1, variable=\x, blue, ultra thick] plot ({\x}, {2*(\x)/((\x)^2+4)}) node[ right ] {$\frac{2x}{x^2+4}$};
\end{tikzpicture}

So you are saying the transformations of $- 0.4$ and the ABS are not critical for the proof

I think I see how the rest of the calculations would go

karush said:
So you are saying the transformations of $- 0.4$ and the ABS are not critical for the proof

I think I see how the rest of the calculations would go

They are relevant.
Let $f(x)=\frac{2x}{x^2+4}$.
Then we have $|f(x)-0.4|<0.1$ and $f(1)=0.4$.
It follows that we must have $0.3 < f(x) < 0.5$, and I've drawn the corresponding horizontal lines at $y=0.3$ and $y=0.5$ in the picture.
Now we need to find a minimum and maximum $x$ around $x=1$ such that the function is between those horizontal lines.
In the picture we can see that if $0.7 < x < 2$ that the function will indeed be between those lines.

That leaves finding $\delta$ such that if $|x-1|<\delta$ that we will have $0.7 < x < 2$.

Klaas van Aarsen said:
They are relevant.
Klaas van Aarsen said:
They are relevant.
It follows that we must have $0.3 < f(x) < 0.5$, and I've drawn the corresponding horizontal lines at $y=0.3$ and $y=0.5$ in the picture.
Now we need to find a minimum and maximum $x$ around $x=1$ such that the function is between those horizontal lines.
In the picture we can see that if $0.7 < x < 2$ that the function will indeed be between those lines.

That leaves finding $\delta$ such that if $|x-1|<\delta$ that we will have $0.7 < x < 2$.

Mahalo Much
I'm need to do a lot more of these to really have it down cold

I tried to make the boundary lines dashed and just up the the graph but that must be separate from the for each call?

1. What is a delta epsilon proof?

A delta epsilon proof is a mathematical method used to prove the limit of a function. It involves using the concepts of delta and epsilon to show that for any given epsilon (a small positive number), there exists a corresponding delta (a small positive number) such that the distance between the input and output of the function is less than epsilon whenever the distance between the input and the limit point is less than delta.

2. Why is a delta epsilon proof important?

Delta epsilon proofs are important because they provide a rigorous and precise way to prove the limit of a function. They are used to establish the convergence of sequences and series, and to prove the continuity of functions. They also help to understand the behavior of a function near a certain point.

3. What are the key components of a delta epsilon proof?

The key components of a delta epsilon proof are the definitions of delta and epsilon, the use of the triangle inequality, and the concept of a limit. Delta represents the distance between the input and the limit point, while epsilon represents the acceptable margin of error. The triangle inequality is used to show that the distance between the input and output of the function is less than epsilon. The concept of a limit is used to show that the distance between the input and the limit point is less than delta.

4. How do you know if a function has a limit using a delta epsilon proof?

A function has a limit if for any given epsilon, there exists a corresponding delta such that the distance between the input and output of the function is less than epsilon whenever the distance between the input and the limit point is less than delta. In other words, the function approaches a specific value as the input gets closer and closer to a certain point.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using a delta epsilon proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using a delta epsilon proof include using the wrong definitions for delta and epsilon, not using the triangle inequality correctly, and not considering all possible values of delta and epsilon. It is also important to make sure that the function is defined and continuous at the limit point. Additionally, it is crucial to use precise mathematical language and notation to clearly communicate the proof.