SAC Probability Help: Find the Probability of 15-20 Students

In summary, the probability of a student getting an apprenticeship from a school with a .15 apprenticeship probability is .14 (between 14.5 and 20.5) and the probability of at least one student getting an apprenticeship is .25.
bayan
Hi guys.

There was a question in my SAC which I still have an hour to finish, that I had no Idea about.

The question was like following.

5 students graduated from a school which has a apprenticeship probability of .15.

I answered a) b) and c) which was to find the probability of none getting an apprenticeship and one getting it and at least one gettingit.

In part D it say using Binomial method find the probability that 15 to 20 students (Inclusive) out of 110 will get apprenticeship.

Can someone help me please.

I have made no progress from getting any info from the question :(

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect your time is up by now but with numbers as large as 110 students, I would be inclined to use the normal approximation. For large N, a binomial distribution with probability of "success" p can be approximated by a normal distribution with mean pN and standard deviation [tex]\sqrt{p(1-p)N}[/tex]. Here p= 0.15 so the normal approximation has mean 16.5 and standard deviation 3.75 (approx). Since the normal distribution is continuous we interpret "between 15 to 20 students" as the interval [14.5, 20.5].

HallsofIvy said:
I suspect your time is up by now but with numbers as large as 110 students, I would be inclined to use the normal approximation. For large N, a binomial distribution with probability of "success" p can be approximated by a normal distribution with mean pN and standard deviation [tex]\sqrt{p(1-p)N}[/tex]. Here p= 0.15 so the normal approximation has mean 16.5 and standard deviation 3.75 (approx). Since the normal distribution is continuous we interpret "between 15 to 20 students" as the interval [14.5, 20.5].

Can you please clarify how I can get the answer? I took a look at my textbookbut there are many diffrent methods of doing it :(

I absloutly hate probability so I am abit lost :(

Thanx for your reply

damnz,

I accidently deleted the other post
here is it again :(

[tex]X ~ N (16.5,14.06) Pr(15 < Z < 20)[/tex]
[tex]Pr((\frac{15-16.5}{3.75})(\frac{20-16.5}{3.75}))[/tex]
[tex]Pr(-.4 < Z < .933)[/tex]
[tex]Pr(Z < .933)- Pr(Z > .4)[/tex]
[tex]Pr(Z <.933) - (1-Pr(Z < .4))[/tex]
[tex]1.5-1.25=.25[/tex]

How does it look? any obvious mistakes?

i only have another 5 hours left before I have that class again.

Cheers

Last edited:

What is probability and why is it important in SAC?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. In SAC, probability is important because it helps us understand the chances of a certain number of students out of a given group of 20 students being chosen. This helps us make informed decisions and predictions about the likelihood of certain outcomes.

What are some factors that can affect the probability of 15-20 students being chosen?

The factors that can affect the probability of 15-20 students being chosen include the total number of students in the group, the criteria for selection, and any biases or preferences in the selection process. The probability can also be affected by the randomness or uniqueness of the group of students being considered.

How do you calculate the probability of 15-20 students being chosen?

The probability of 15-20 students being chosen can be calculated by dividing the number of ways 15-20 students can be chosen by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if there are 50 students in the group and 15-20 students are chosen, the probability would be (number of ways to choose 15-20 students) / (total number of ways to choose 50 students). This can also be represented as a percentage.

Can the probability of 15-20 students being chosen be greater than 1?

No, the probability of an event cannot be greater than 1. A probability of 1 represents a certain outcome, while a probability of 0 represents an impossible outcome. Any probability between 0 and 1 represents a chance of the event occurring.

How can understanding probability help in making decisions for SAC activities?

Understanding probability can help in making decisions for SAC activities by providing a more accurate prediction of the outcome. It can also help in identifying any biases or preferences in the selection process and ensure a fair and objective decision. It can also be used to assess the effectiveness of different selection criteria and make adjustments for future activities.