Saddest songs you've heard

"Coldest Days of My Life" by "The Chi-lites".

The title kinda sounds like an electron in a ground state eh?

strangerep
Science Advisor
Brilliant! I'm going to one of his concerts in a few months, I'm really looking forward to it :tongue2:
(?) Not quite sure what the tongue icon means in this context, but I hope you enjoy the concert.

Last year, I bought a DVD of one of his concerts performed somewhere in Germany. (He's up in his 70's now.) I was a little disappointed that "Ain't no way to say goodbye" was not included. However, there's a youtube video of him doing the song recently, but although he can still move an audience I felt there was a little too much extra "modern production" -- more than the pure simplicity of his Isle-of-Wight performance long ago. If you can get the DVD of his entire Isle-of-Wight performance, it's worth the money...

Danger
Gold Member
(?) Not quite sure what the tongue icon means in this context
That's the "horny" tongue. ":tongue:" is the Bronx Cheer version (raspberry to those of us who don't live in the US).

Old one by recently departed George Jones.

Then again perhaps it is just the saddest song I have heard today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger
Gold Member
:yuck:

Danger
Gold Member
I burst into tears every time I hear this because it is a real human tragedy.
Well, I never burst, but the one of Gordie's that I prefer to listen to alone to avoid ruining my reputation is "The Canadian Roadroad Trilogy". Here's the best version (studio version) which includes appropriate historical photos. It's a bit tricky because every time that you think it has ended it starts over with a new tempo, so you kind of have to just keep listening until it stops completely. (I love the whole song—the whole body of his work, in fact—but it's actually just the very last line of the lyrics that blows a gasket in my tear ducts. I figure that I can justify it, though, because my grandfather was one of the guys that he's singing about.)

Oh, geez... we've all been overlooking the obvious! For anyone with a horrendous ex- in the background, surely the song that is guaranteed to make him cry is "The Wedding March".
Reminds me of a poem that my father taught me:
"The saddest words of tongue or pen;
Why did I marry that old hen?"

edit: "That's Where I Went Wrong" by the Poppy Family (or Susan Jacks after she went solo; I'm not sure which).
"One Night Lovers" by Tom Middleton.

strangerep
Science Advisor
Brilliant! I'm going to one of [Leonard Cohen's] concerts in a few months, I'm really looking forward to it :tongue2:
Hey Micromass,

Just wondering whether you've been to the concert yet?

Hey Micromass,

Just wondering whether you've been to the concert yet?
Yes, I have. It was absolutely brilliant. He sang all my favorite songs, so I was delighted.
If he ever comes here again, I would go see him again.

strangerep
Science Advisor
It was absolutely brilliant. He sang all my favorite songs, so I was delighted.
If he ever comes here again, I would go see him again.
He's coming to part of the world in a few months time. But... OMG! The ticket prices (for a halfway reasonable seat) are <insert expletive here>.

Or maybe it's just a long long time since I went to a live concert.

WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
You can always go to a Taylor Swift concert with me strangerep.

He's coming to part of the world in a few months time. But... OMG! The ticket prices (for a halfway reasonable seat) are <insert expletive here>.

Or maybe it's just a long long time since I went to a live concert.
I know, it was very expensive. But I think it was worth it for me.

strangerep
Science Advisor
You can always go to a Taylor Swift concert with me strangerep.
Is she cheap? <insert obvious double-entendre here>

The air ticket to New York might bump up the cost, however.

"In loving memory" by Alter Bridge makes me really sad.

rcgldr
Homework Helper
Well for country western sad songs, you can play them backwards and you get your dog back, your truck back, your wife back, your job back, the local bar reopens, ...

"One Less Bell"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZcA3kiaQb0

and just for something different, "Love Don't Live Here Anymore", later covered by Madonna:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN73JGEkCTA

and one of the bazillion versions of "And I Miss You".
A bit of trivia, the guy and the girl in the video are actually in adjacent rooms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4sPkS8b62Q

Last edited:
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
Is she cheap? <insert obvious double-entendre here>

The air ticket to New York might bump up the cost, however.
I'll pay. I just don't want to be the only guy there :frown:

A Mad World always gets me in a blue mood. It's one of those songs that just get stuck on repeat loop in one's head, for days, weeks and months. I had to really distract myself with other parts of life to shake its hold at one point. I think that is the best way to get one's mind off of bad songs or thoughts or sentiments, to simply do something else!

Evo
Mentor
A Mad World always gets me in a blue mood. It's one of those songs that just get stuck on repeat loop in one's head, for days, weeks and months. I had to really distract myself with other parts of life to shake its hold at one point. I think that is the best way to get one's mind off of bad songs or thoughts or sentiments, to simply do something else!
Yeah, that's a sad, good song.

Likes 1 person
A couple of oldies that get to me are:

At Seventeen by Janis Ian

and Alone Again (Naturally) by Gilbert O'Sullivan

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
coming up on that time of year again.....

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkaKwXddT_I

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Dancing in the sky

It was brought to my attention by a friend who's sister recently died of lung cancer. She had had a troubled life with a lot of pain, and died too young.