1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Saddle Point Approximation

1. Jan 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Apply saddle point approximation to the following integral:

I = ∫0xe-ax-b/√xdx a,b > 0

Recall that to derive Stirling formula from the Euler integral in class we required N >> 1. For the integral defined above, identify in terms of a and b appropriate parameter that justifies the use of the saddle point approximation.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    In class, my teacher worked through a simpler problem for the integral xne-x, and started by finding out the maximum x0=n.

Trying to follow my teachers example, I changed the integral to eln(x) - ax - b/√x
    and looked at the limits. I set f(x) = ln(x) - ax - b/√x, so that as x→∞, f(x)→-∞ and is almost linear, and as x→0, f(x) depends on ln(x) - b/√x.

I guess my issue is I'm not really sure how to determine the parameters. My intuition tells me that a<x0<b, but I don't know how to show this, or if that's even what is asked of me. I tried to take the derivative of f(x) to determine x0 and came up with f'(0) = (1/x)-a-(b/2)*x-3/2 = 0, which isn't making this easier on me. Am I on the right track or am I completely missing the obvious here?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't mean f'(0), and you have a sign wrong.
    Let x' be the solution of f'(x) = 0. Express x as x' plus some new variable, z. Plug that into the integrand and approximate for small z. You can use the f'(x')=0 equation to get some cancellation. (You may find you get too much cancellation and you need to include smaller terms, like z2.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted