Saddle Point Approximation for the Integral ∫0∞xe-ax-b/√xdx

In summary, we apply the saddle point approximation to the integral ∫0∞xe-ax-b/√xdx with a and b > 0. To justify this, we need to identify an appropriate parameter in terms of a and b. One approach is to set f(x) = ln(x) - ax - b/√x and find the maximum x0 by taking the derivative of f(x). However, this may not be the most efficient approach and we may need to include smaller terms in the approximation.
derravaragh

Homework Statement

Apply saddle point approximation to the following integral:

I = ∫0xe-ax-b/√xdx a,b > 0

Recall that to derive Stirling formula from the Euler integral in class we required N >> 1. For the integral defined above, identify in terms of a and b appropriate parameter that justifies the use of the saddle point approximation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In class, my teacher worked through a simpler problem for the integral xne-x, and started by finding out the maximum x0=n.

Trying to follow my teachers example, I changed the integral to eln(x) - ax - b/√x
and looked at the limits. I set f(x) = ln(x) - ax - b/√x, so that as x→∞, f(x)→-∞ and is almost linear, and as x→0, f(x) depends on ln(x) - b/√x.

I guess my issue is I'm not really sure how to determine the parameters. My intuition tells me that a<x0<b, but I don't know how to show this, or if that's even what is asked of me. I tried to take the derivative of f(x) to determine x0 and came up with f'(0) = (1/x)-a-(b/2)*x-3/2 = 0, which isn't making this easier on me. Am I on the right track or am I completely missing the obvious here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
derravaragh said:
f'(0) = (1/x)-a-(b/2)*x-3/2 = 0
You don't mean f'(0), and you have a sign wrong.
Let x' be the solution of f'(x) = 0. Express x as x' plus some new variable, z. Plug that into the integrand and approximate for small z. You can use the f'(x')=0 equation to get some cancellation. (You may find you get too much cancellation and you need to include smaller terms, like z2.)

1. What is Saddle Point Approximation?

Saddle Point Approximation is a mathematical method used to approximate the value of a complicated integral or sum by finding the stationary point (saddle point) of the integrand or summand. This method is often used in physics, engineering, and statistics to simplify complex calculations.

2. How does Saddle Point Approximation work?

Saddle Point Approximation works by finding the point where the first derivative of the integrand or summand is equal to zero, and then using that point to approximate the integral or sum. This point is known as the saddle point because it resembles a saddle in the shape of the graph of the function.

3. When is Saddle Point Approximation useful?

Saddle Point Approximation is useful when the integral or sum is too complicated to be solved analytically or numerically. It is also useful when the integrand or summand has a large number of variables, making traditional methods impractical.

4. What are the advantages of using Saddle Point Approximation?

One advantage of using Saddle Point Approximation is that it can significantly reduce the computational time and resources needed to solve a problem. It also provides a good approximation of the integral or sum with relatively small errors.

5. Are there any limitations to using Saddle Point Approximation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Saddle Point Approximation. It is only applicable to integrals or sums that have a saddle point, and it may not provide an accurate approximation for all points in the integration or summation range. Additionally, it is not suitable for highly oscillatory integrands or sums.