Safe Flea Powder for Dogs - Ingredients & Effects

• Thread starter Skystar66
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Powder
In summary, the conversation is about creating a flea powder for a Golden Retriever that is effective against fleas but safe for the dog if ingested. The suggested ingredients include potassium sorbate, corn gluten meal, putrescent whole egg solids, corn oil, sesame, eugenol, sodium lauryl sulfate, geraniol, white pepper, and lauryl sulfate. The person is also considering using a T-maze and chromatography to test the effectiveness of the powder. However, it is important to consider what happens to the fleas once they are repelled and where they may go.
Skystar66
I'm making a flea powder for my Golden Retriever and hope to find a 'food grade' inert that will disable fleas but not hurt my dog if he licks it off his fur.

Potassium sorbate
Corn gluten meal
Putrescent whole egg solids
Corn oil
Sesame (includes ground sesame plant)
Eugenol
Sodium lauryl sulfate
Geraniol
White pepper
Lauryl sulfate

Are all these powders (as opposed to oil or liquid)?
Are any 'granular' (like salt as opposed to baking soda)?
Are any destructive or poisonous to insects?

Thank you,

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
It seems that you are basing your experimental powder on an existing labeled product and want to retro engineer it. While in grad school, I was witness to some high schoolers that my advisor had agreed to have us help with science fair ideas. One of the ideas used a video camera and T-maze to gather data on repellency of components extracted from natural sources towards some type of bug. Our contribution was to show them some simple TLC and chromatography that could allow them to isolate bands of the active component(s).

I can recognize that a few of these in your list would have been present in the extracts they had found some promise. I would guess that experimenting with fleas would be a bit difficult, but I recall that they can be attracted to traps by certain color of light, so the T maze could collect data for a repellent that could overcome attractive light.

You have to ask yourself though; if the repellent works, where do the fleas go? It can be no fun if you are the item they choose to dine on, and they inhabit your carpet and sofa!

1. What ingredients are commonly found in safe flea powder for dogs?

Some common ingredients found in safe flea powder for dogs include diatomaceous earth, essential oils such as peppermint and eucalyptus, and herbs like neem and rosemary. These ingredients are all natural and non-toxic.

2. Is safe flea powder for dogs effective in getting rid of fleas?

Yes, safe flea powder for dogs can be effective in getting rid of fleas. However, it is important to follow the instructions carefully and consistently apply the powder to your dog's fur and bedding. It may take a few days for the powder to take full effect.

3. Are there any potential harmful effects of using safe flea powder on my dog?

When used as directed, safe flea powder for dogs is generally safe and non-toxic. However, some dogs may be sensitive to certain ingredients, so it is important to monitor your dog for any signs of irritation or allergic reactions. If you notice any adverse effects, discontinue use and consult your veterinarian.

4. Can I use safe flea powder for dogs on puppies and pregnant dogs?

It is best to consult with your veterinarian before using any flea products on puppies or pregnant dogs. Some ingredients in flea powder may not be suitable for these dogs, and your vet can advise you on the safest and most effective options.

5. How often should I apply safe flea powder to my dog?

The frequency of application will depend on the specific product and the severity of the flea infestation. However, most safe flea powders can be applied once a week to help prevent fleas. If your dog has a severe infestation, you may need to apply the powder more frequently, but be sure to follow the instructions on the product label.

Back