Are Watermelon Seeds Safe to Eat and Do They Affect Appendix Health?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary: It has a thick, tough coat to protect it from harsh conditions. So, no worries, eating watermelon seeds is completely safe and even beneficial for your health. In summary, watermelon seeds do not pose any health risks and are actually a natural part of the watermelon's life cycle. They have been used in traditional medicines and are closely related to other edible seeds like pumpkin and squash. While some seeds can be harmful, watermelon seeds are specifically designed to pass through the digestive system unharmed. So go ahead and enjoy your watermelon, seeds and all!
Mk
With the advent of the amazing japanese watermelon, I am eating more watermelon now. I recently had two friends undergo appendictomies. Makes me wonder, are these watermelon seeds contributing to my appendictomal (??, sounded good) health? What about the underdeveloped white ones as opposed to the black ones? Also, how do the white ones pass through the digestive system in comparison to the black ones?

Biology news on Phys.org
No, watermelon seeds do not pose any health risks. Fruited plants like watermelon, apples, etc are evolutionarily "designed"* to be eaten by animals such as deer, mice, birds, or even you. The idea is that grazing animals will eat the watermelon, seeds and all, and then pass the seeds out unharmed in the feces. The animal has thus spread the seed to a new area and even surrounded it in fertilizer.

So you see, eating is watermelon seeds isn't just safe, but is a part of the natural life cycle of the watermelon. You are in no danger. Eat up!

*-- not to imply intelligent design, of course.

Likes JEE
I have eaten seeds and nuts, and I have never has a problem with appendicitis. Seeds usually pass right through, unless one chews them into small peices, and then only the indigestible portion (e.g. husk) passes through.

So, AFAIK, it is safe to eat wartermelon seeds.

In traditional Chinese medicine, eating watermelon seeds is supposed to be
good for the kidneys. http://faculty.che.umn.edu/fscn/Ted_Labuza/PDF_files/OthersPapers/BlackFoods3B&W.pdf . Watermelon seeds are also mentioned in Native American tradition as medicinal.

Watermelon is a member of the Curcurbit or Latin Curcurbitaceae family, which include cucumbers, squash, cantaloupe, pumpkin as well as watermelon. They are so closely related, many can crossbreed with each other. I've enjoyed eating pumpkin and squash seeds (dry roasted) and available in the healthy section of your market. That would also lead me to believe that watermelon seeds would not be harmful.

BlueNoteM3's comments about eating them and their role in seed dissemination has merrit.. The surface of the seeds are slippery and most would slide down your gut along with the fruit and pass right through you. However, not all seeds are harmless. For instance you can get
http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/greenline/i1250_384.html#11 from chewing and eating apple seeds. They contain cyanogenic glycosides which will hydrolyze to cyanide. (though an adult would need to consume a cup of apple seeds to be fatal) . (I've heard of this before). Apricot seeds also contain these poisonous glycosides. Other seeds (kernels inside the pit) you should avoid chewing include: cherry, nectarine, peach and plum.

So why don't we see more people dying or getting sick or dying from eating those seeds?
Because we don't normally try to eat the pits of stone fruits. If you did consume apple seeds, most likely they would be whole and pass right through your digestive tract.

Last edited by a moderator:
The danger in swallowing watermelon seeds is that the seed may take root in the stomach and grow another watermelon there. At first this might not seem so bad since it's like eating an entire watermelon and not have to share it with anyone. However, when that thing starts to make its way down your small intestines, it will be like a watermelon making its way down your small intestines. Ouch. If I were you, I'd stick with grapes.

jimmysnyder said:
The danger in swallowing watermelon seeds is that the seed may take root in the stomach and grow another watermelon there..
:rofl: Funny guy.. The http://biology.clc.uc.edu/courses/bio104/atom-h2o.htm alone, would inhibit growth of new plant tissue. The pH in your gut is between 1 - 3. Inside the intestines, it is not there long enough to germinate. Even if it did, it becomes crushed and flushed out before doing any damage. The seed's best protection for survival, until it reaches a habitable medium, is its seed-coat.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can I safely eat watermelon seeds?

Yes, you can safely eat watermelon seeds. They are not toxic and are safe for consumption.

2. Do watermelon seeds contain any nutritional value?

Yes, watermelon seeds are a good source of protein, healthy fats, and minerals such as magnesium, zinc, and iron. They also contain essential amino acids and vitamins.

3. Are there any potential health benefits of eating watermelon seeds?

Yes, watermelon seeds have been found to have numerous health benefits. They may help improve digestion, promote heart health, and boost the immune system. They are also believed to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.

4. Can watermelon seeds be eaten raw or do they need to be roasted?

Watermelon seeds can be eaten raw or roasted. Roasting them can enhance their flavor and make them easier to chew, but they are safe to eat either way.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when consuming watermelon seeds?

If you have a seed allergy, it is best to avoid eating watermelon seeds. Also, make sure to chew them thoroughly before swallowing to prevent choking. It is also recommended to limit your intake of watermelon seeds as they are high in calories and may cause digestive discomfort if consumed in large quantities.