Safe to swallow gum?

1. I got ter thinkin, wouldn't it be more healthy to swallow gum after you chew it rather than spit it out? Extra fiber for your large intestine or not?

2. jcsd
  3. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since when is there fiber in gum? So do you also swallow pebbles with the thought it mind it could be good for your intestine?

4. You will grow a rubber tree in your belly..and the branches will sprout out your ears!

Swallowing gum, dosen't seem to have any effect on us, just passes right out of us.

5. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. I'm assuming it is just a myth that swallowing gum will not make it remain in your system for roughly ~6 or so years...

7. But small, round pebbles, like marbles, wouldn't be harmful would it?

8. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: You're not considering it, are you? Ruminants eat stones to help them digest plants, the stones stay in their stomach all their live.

9. Not that I am, but it wouldn't, would it? Children swallow their teeth all the time (if I had a nickel for every time I heard that one!), after they fall out.

After looking up what a ruminant is, I have noticed I am not a ruminant. Does the same apply?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?