Is Swallowing Chewed Gum Healthy?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of swallowing gum and its potential health benefits or harm. The individuals discuss the possibility of gum providing extra fiber for the large intestine and whether or not it stays in the system for a long period of time. They also mention the idea of swallowing pebbles for digestive purposes and compare it to the behavior of ruminants. Ultimately, it is concluded that swallowing gum does not have any significant impact on one's health and is not harmful.
Mk
I got ter thinkin, wouldn't it be more healthy to swallow gum after you chew it rather than spit it out? Extra fiber for your large intestine or not?

Biology news on Phys.org
Since when is there fiber in gum? So do you also swallow pebbles with the thought it mind it could be good for your intestine?

You will grow a rubber tree in your belly..and the branches will sprout out your ears!

Swallowing gum, dosen't seem to have any effect on us, just passes right out of us.

I'm assuming it is just a myth that swallowing gum will not make it remain in your system for roughly ~6 or so years...

So do you also swallow pebbles with the thought it mind it could be good for your intestine?
But small, round pebbles, like marbles, wouldn't be harmful would it?

Mk said:
But small, round pebbles, like marbles, wouldn't be harmful would it?
:rofl: You're not considering it, are you? Ruminants eat stones to help them digest plants, the stones stay in their stomach all their live.

Not that I am, but it wouldn't, would it? Children swallow their teeth all the time (if I had a nickel for every time I heard that one!), after they fall out.

After looking up what a ruminant is, I have noticed I am not a ruminant. Does the same apply?

1. Is it true that swallowed gum takes 7 years to digest?

No, this is a common myth. While it is true that gum cannot be broken down by our digestive system, it does not stay in our bodies for 7 years. It usually passes through our system within a few days, similar to other types of food we eat.

2. Can swallowing chewed gum cause digestive problems or blockages?

In most cases, no. Our digestive system is designed to handle small, non-digestible substances like gum. However, swallowing large amounts of gum can increase the risk of developing a blockage, especially in children. It is important to monitor how much gum is being swallowed and to avoid swallowing large amounts at once.

3. Is there any nutritional value to swallowing gum?

No, there is no nutritional value to swallowing gum. It is made up of mostly indigestible materials like rubber and cellulose. It may contain small amounts of sugar or artificial sweeteners, but these do not provide any significant nutritional benefits.

4. Can swallowing gum lead to health problems or illnesses?

In general, no. Swallowing gum is not harmful and does not lead to any health problems or illnesses. However, if you have a medical condition that affects your digestive system, it is best to consult with a doctor before swallowing gum or any other non-food items.

5. Is it safe for children to swallow gum?

While it is not recommended for children to swallow gum, it is generally safe for them to do so in small amounts. However, it is important to teach children about the potential risks of swallowing too much gum and to monitor their gum consumption. If a child accidentally swallows a large amount of gum, it is best to seek medical advice to ensure there is no risk of blockages.