Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Safest file sharing program

1. Aug 14, 2007 #1
    I'm aware that there having already been threads on which is the best P2P file sharing program to download. But the threads I've search only ask one of my questions and most of the threads are only 2 years old , so things may have change. Whats the safest file sharing program to download?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2007 #2
    I would assume that the safest file sharing program would be one that does not transfer any data, this would minimise the temperature that your computer components would reach and so you would be less likely to burn yourself. However, this doesn't prevent many of the risks of using a computer. It's best if you also refrain from using mains power and purchase a case with no sharp edges.

How do you mean safe?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  4. Aug 14, 2007 #3
    Do you mean like Limewire, that P2P stuff. or like torrents? Because if you mean Limewire, stop thinking about that stuff and use torrents. Much better IMO.

5. Aug 14, 2007 #4
    I mean file sharing programs with absolutely no malware or adware

6. Aug 14, 2007 #5

ranger

Gold Member

Well in that case, you're better off sticking with torrents and use a reputable torrent client such a utorrent - pronounced micro torrent.

7. Aug 14, 2007 #6
    Is a file sharing program like BitTorrent 6.0 Beta very reputable

8. Aug 14, 2007 #7

ranger

Gold Member

I don't know. I can only speak for azureus and utorrent. Given the choice over any torrent client, I'd choose utorrent.

http://www.grauw.nl/articles/bittorrent.php

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  9. Aug 14, 2007 #8
    Didn't [itex]\mu[/itex]- and bittorrent join forces somehow a while ago (although naturally at least were completely different "animals")? I think performance and lightness -wise utorrent for one rocks. Would just make sure download from an authenticated source.

10. Aug 14, 2007 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

BitTorrent is written by the inventor of the protocol, another choice is the Opera web browser, it has torrent support builtin.
    Of course neither of these are open source so you cannot check the code yourself.

11. Aug 15, 2007 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No P2P networks have "absolutely no malware or adware."

- Warren

12. Aug 15, 2007 #11
    Yes, of course you have to be careful of what you download.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?