Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Safety harness question

  1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    I was on a 'Working at Height' course and at the end of the course they deemed it necessary to suspend us from a harness so we would know what it would feel like to be suspended from a harness. This caused me to get a sore back which I reported to my supervisor the next day. I carried on working with this sore back for another 11 weeks thinking it would be better if i kept it moving. It eventually got so sore that i got referred to a Chiropractor who diagnosed a twisted pelvis. My work (big oil company) say because i worked for 11 weeks then took time off are not classing it as a work related accident and they don't think it was caused by the safety harness. They also said that i could have been up to anything in that 11 weeks which could have caused my sore back.
    My question is that how much force is going through my pelvis (i weigh 107kg) and would this cause it to twist. I'm assuming you are familiar with safety harnesses. I can't think of anything i did in that 11 weeks which would have caused a twisted pelvis. Apart from a car accident what else can cause a twisted pelvis? I am 99% positive it was the harness that caused it because i felt unbalanced when i walked i.e i felt something was out of line. At first I had no intention of claiming compensation but i am so angry because it's like they're saying i am dishonest. So now i might go ahead and claim. I hope this kind of question is ok to ask on this forum.

    Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    First of all, I'd recommend seeing a real doctor, not a chiropractor if you think you have a legitimate injury. "Twisted pelvis" sounds like chiropractor quackery. There's nothing about a safety harness, per se, that should cause injury...it's just like hanging from a swing. If you were already predisposed to some sort of injury, maybe. But, again, you'd need a real doctor to diagnose that. This is within the specialty area of orthopedists.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Threads - Safety harness question Date
Disc hernia question Mar 10, 2018
Radon safety in basement Apr 23, 2016
Safety of an IR emmitter-phototransistor Apr 20, 2015
GM food: Safety tests on new products up for debate Sep 20, 2012
Radioligand binding - safety concerns ? Sep 12, 2008