Can a Safety Harness Cause a Twisted Pelvis?

• Medical
  • Thread starter joesudz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Safety
In summary, the individual recounts their experience on a 'Working at Height' course where they were suspended from a harness, which later caused them to develop a sore back. They continued working for 11 weeks before seeking medical attention and being diagnosed with a twisted pelvis. Their employer, a big oil company, is not considering it a work-related accident and suggests that the injury could have been caused by something else during the 11 weeks. The individual is questioning the force that went through their pelvis while suspended and whether it could have caused the injury, and also mentions the possibility of a car accident causing it. They express frustration with their employer and considering claiming compensation. They also ask if this forum is appropriate for their question.
joesudz
I was on a 'Working at Height' course and at the end of the course they deemed it necessary to suspend us from a harness so we would know what it would feel like to be suspended from a harness. This caused me to get a sore back which I reported to my supervisor the next day. I carried on working with this sore back for another 11 weeks thinking it would be better if i kept it moving. It eventually got so sore that i got referred to a Chiropractor who diagnosed a twisted pelvis. My work (big oil company) say because i worked for 11 weeks then took time off are not classing it as a work related accident and they don't think it was caused by the safety harness. They also said that i could have been up to anything in that 11 weeks which could have caused my sore back.
My question is that how much force is going through my pelvis (i weigh 107kg) and would this cause it to twist. I'm assuming you are familiar with safety harnesses. I can't think of anything i did in that 11 weeks which would have caused a twisted pelvis. Apart from a car accident what else can cause a twisted pelvis? I am 99% positive it was the harness that caused it because i felt unbalanced when i walked i.e i felt something was out of line. At first I had no intention of claiming compensation but i am so angry because it's like they're saying i am dishonest. So now i might go ahead and claim. I hope this kind of question is ok to ask on this forum.

Thank you

Biology news on Phys.org
First of all, I'd recommend seeing a real doctor, not a chiropractor if you think you have a legitimate injury. "Twisted pelvis" sounds like chiropractor quackery. There's nothing about a safety harness, per se, that should cause injury...it's just like hanging from a swing. If you were already predisposed to some sort of injury, maybe. But, again, you'd need a real doctor to diagnose that. This is within the specialty area of orthopedists.

for your question. As a scientist, it is important to approach this situation with objectivity and evidence-based reasoning. First, let's establish what a safety harness is and its purpose. A safety harness is a piece of equipment designed to protect individuals from falls or other accidents while working at heights. It is typically secured around the waist and shoulders, with straps connecting to a secure anchor point.

Now, to address the question of whether a safety harness can cause a twisted pelvis, it is important to consider the biomechanics of the human body. The pelvis is a complex structure consisting of bones, muscles, and ligaments that support the weight of the upper body and provide stability for movement. It is designed to handle a certain amount of force and stress, but excessive or sudden forces can cause injury.

In the case described, the individual weighed 107kg and was suspended from a harness for a period of time. While it is difficult to determine the exact amount of force that would have been exerted on the pelvis, it is possible that the weight of the individual, combined with the tension of the harness, could have caused enough force to potentially result in a twisted pelvis.

However, it is also important to note that there could be other factors at play. As mentioned, the pelvis is a complex structure and there could have been pre-existing conditions or activities that contributed to the injury. It is also possible that the individual's weight or the way they were suspended in the harness could have played a role.

In terms of other possible causes of a twisted pelvis, as mentioned, a car accident could certainly cause this type of injury. Other potential causes could include sports injuries, heavy lifting, or even something as simple as slipping and falling.

Ultimately, without a full medical evaluation and more information about the specific circumstances, it is difficult to definitively say whether the safety harness was the sole cause of the twisted pelvis. However, it is certainly a possibility and should not be discounted.

In terms of your situation with your employer and potential compensation, it is important to gather all of the evidence and information you can to support your claim. This could include medical records, witness statements, and any other documentation related to the incident and your injury. It may also be helpful to consult with a legal professional who can provide guidance and support in navigating this process.

In conclusion, while it is possible that a safety harness could have caused a twisted pelvis, it is important to consider all

1. What is a safety harness?

A safety harness is a form of personal protective equipment that is worn to protect the body from injury or harm. It is typically made of straps and buckles that secure around the body, allowing an individual to work at heights without falling.

2. Why is a safety harness important?

A safety harness is important because it helps prevent falls and injuries when working at heights. It provides a secure attachment point and distributes the impact of a fall across the body, reducing the likelihood of serious injury.

3. How do you properly fit a safety harness?

To properly fit a safety harness, you should adjust the straps and buckles to ensure a snug and comfortable fit. The shoulder straps should be adjusted so that they are straight and not too tight, and the leg straps should be snug but not digging into the skin. You should also check that the D-ring is positioned between the shoulder blades.

4. How often should safety harnesses be inspected?

Safety harnesses should be inspected before each use and at least once a year by a competent person. If the harness has been involved in a fall, it should be taken out of service and inspected by a competent person before being used again.

5. When should a safety harness be replaced?

A safety harness should be replaced if it shows signs of wear or damage, such as frayed straps, broken buckles, or rusted D-rings. It should also be replaced if it has been involved in a fall, as the structural integrity may have been compromised. It is important to regularly check and replace safety harnesses to ensure the safety of workers.