Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Safety of a reaction.

  1. Jun 19, 2012 #1
    Hi!!

    I write this letter to confirm the safety of a reation.
    I've heard that one of my friends made his hands injured because he touched it without knowing that it is the sulfuric acid. And, he told me that he washed his hands with the vinegar.
    Do you think it is right to use vinegar to cope with such an emergence situation.
    I thought that since both of them; sulfuric acid, vinegar are acids, it would be more dangerous. Isn't it?/
    If so, then what do you think is the best way to cope with such a dangerous situation.
    In fact, I don't know about chemestry well. But, I couldn't find any place to ask about this kind of problem.
    I hope to get an answer from you.

    Thank you!!!
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2012 #2

    Borek

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Best approach is to flush with a copious amount of a cold water.
     
  4. Jun 19, 2012 #3
    Thank you for your recommendation.
    But, I have one thing to check.
    Do you mean that using vinegar to wash hands is wrong way??
    Or, do you think is it okay to wash hands by vinegar when injured by sulfuric acids??
     
  5. Jun 19, 2012 #4

    Borek

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    It is not going to help and I can't think of a single reason to do it.
     
  6. Jun 19, 2012 #5
    I really appreciate your help!
     
  7. Jun 21, 2012 #6
    As Borek says, I can't think of a single reason to do it either. Weak acids like vinegar (a solution of acetic acid and water) probably wouldn't damage him further because they are in the presence of a strong acid like sulfuric acid, but I couldn't really see it benefiting him.

    Any time you are worried about something like that just look up the MSDS (material safety data sheet). You can find one for sulfuric acid here: http://www.ee.iitb.ac.in/~nanoe/msds/sulphuric%20acid.pdf [Broken]

    From above link:

    "Skin Contact:
    In case of contact, immediately flush skin with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Cover the irritated skin with an emollient. Cold water may be used. Wash clothing before reuse. Thoroughly clean shoes before reuse. Get medical attention immediately.

    Serious Skin Contact:
    Wash with a disinfectant soap and cover the contaminated skin with an anti-bacterial cream. Seek immediate medical attention."
     
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook




Similar Discussions: Safety of a reaction.
  1. Lab safety-related (Replies: 5)

Loading...