Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sagitarius A

1. May 14, 2010 #1
    Sagitarius A or SgrA is a star rotating near the center of our Milky Way Galaxy. Located at Ecliptic Longitude of 27sgr00 right now. The velocity of SgrA must be tremendous.

What is the prognosis that it will collide with the black hole?

This supermassive Black Hole will soon engulf this star and what it can not consume will send back into another decaying orbit around it. What is the probablility that part of the star will reach the escape velocity of the Black Hole and find a stable orbit?
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I though Sgr-A WAS the blackhole at the center of the galaxy?
  4. May 15, 2010 #3
    Yes you are right SgrA is measured by a Radio Telescope as the center of the galaxy and is not a star. There are stars orbiting around it at high speed. I would like to know about these stars and clouds of dust.
  5. May 15, 2010 #4
    As I recall Astronomy magazine did a very nice piece a few years ago about recent images (IR I believe) of the center of the galaxy and mapped the orbits of a number of stars revolving close to the center. I think this is the reference:

The actual article has lots more images.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook