Is there an oceanographic or meteorologic report on "the influence of wind on waves"?

In summary, the author observed waves with height h 2 cm < h <10 cm, with velocity v = 5 m/s. He also mentions a report on the influence of wind on waves, but does not provide any further information.
JANm
Today (25-10-09) I visited beach on the west coast with clearly south wind.
Looking to the waves, there were some with height h | 2 cm < h <10 cm, with peculiar high velocity. They were sailing on the wind. Somehow waves of these height are kept up, are stalled in falling down and the phase-velocity of falling eventualy went from south to north, but also from north to south, astonishing fast. v=5 m/s I should say. Sometimes a sn and a ns would meet and evaporate.

Is there an oceanografic or meteorologic report on "the influence of wind on waves"?
Janm

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank You Tiny Tim
I read from page 76 to about 85 about: fishing techniques as fly-fishers know they become invisible to the fish from third order; capillary waves and dragging the fishing line.
It were no rinkles (third order), rather second order waves = regular small of about 2,5 cm in amplitude, but also bigger. Fase difference in falling made some sort of tube reminding me of the much bigger uns surfers in very special conditions like so much, them riding under the continuously falling waves as if in a tube... But those must be 2 metre in height.
The ones I saw were from 2cm until 10 cm as I already wrote, but if I take the 5 m/s as fase velocity that could be in the neighbourhood of a surfer velocity 18 km/s. ?
So it could be that this fase velocity is not very much in difference.

By the way this dragging of the fly while fishing looks indeed comparable with the sailing waves.
greetings Janm

1. What is the purpose of an oceanographic or meteorologic report on "the influence of wind on waves"?

An oceanographic or meteorologic report on "the influence of wind on waves" is meant to provide a comprehensive understanding of how wind affects wave behavior and dynamics in the ocean. This type of report can help researchers, policymakers, and the general public better understand the relationship between wind and waves and its potential impacts on marine ecosystems and coastal communities.

2. What methods are typically used to study the influence of wind on waves?

There are various methods used to study the influence of wind on waves, including field observations, laboratory experiments, and numerical modeling. Field observations involve collecting data on wind and wave conditions at specific locations in the ocean. Laboratory experiments simulate wind and wave conditions in a controlled environment, allowing researchers to observe and measure their interactions. Numerical modeling uses computer simulations to predict the behavior of wind and waves based on mathematical equations and physical laws.

3. What are some of the key findings in oceanographic and meteorologic reports on the influence of wind on waves?

Some key findings in oceanographic and meteorologic reports on the influence of wind on waves include the significant role of wind in shaping wave characteristics such as height, period, and direction. These reports also highlight the influence of wind on ocean currents, coastal erosion, and sediment transport. Additionally, they provide insights into the impact of climate change on wind and wave patterns and the potential consequences for marine ecosystems and coastal communities.

4. How does wind affect different types of waves?

Wind can affect different types of waves in various ways, depending on factors such as wind speed, duration, and direction. For example, strong and sustained winds can generate larger and longer waves, while shifting winds can cause changes in wave direction. Wind can also influence the formation and breaking of waves, as well as the development of complex wave patterns such as swells and choppy seas.

5. How do oceanographic and meteorologic reports on the influence of wind on waves inform marine industries and coastal management?

Oceanographic and meteorologic reports on the influence of wind on waves provide valuable information for marine industries and coastal management. By understanding how wind affects wave behavior, these reports can help industries such as shipping, fishing, and offshore energy production plan and operate more safely and efficiently. They also provide critical insights for coastal management strategies, including coastal protection measures and disaster preparedness plans.