1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sakurai 1.27

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that [tex]f\left(A\right)[/tex] is a function of a Hemitian operator A with the property [tex]A|a'\rangle=a'|a'\rangle[/tex]. Evaluate [tex]\langle b''|f\left(A\right)|b'\rangle[/tex] when the transformation matrix from the a' basis to the b' basis is known.

[tex]\langle\beta|A|\alpha\rangle=\int dx' \int dx'' \langle\beta|x'\rangle\langle x'|A|x''\rangle \langle x''|\alpha\rangle=\int dx' \int dx'' \psi_\beta^*\left(x'\right)\langle x'|A|x''\rangle\psi_\alpha\left(x''\right)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Transformation from [tex]a'[/tex] to [tex]b'[/tex] basis:

[tex]U|a'\rangle = |b'\rangle[/tex]

Multiply both sides by [tex]a''[/tex]:

[tex]\langle a''|U|a'\rangle = \langle a''|b'\rangle[/tex]

This is the transformation matrix.

Now insert [tex]|a''\rangle\langle a''|[/tex] into [tex]\langle b''|f\left(A\right)|b'\rangle[/tex]:

[tex]\langle b''|f\left(A\right)|a''\rangle\langle a''|b'\rangle[/tex]

Now insert [tex]|a'\rangle\langle a'|[/tex] into the above:

[tex]\langle b''|a'\rangle\langle a'|f\left(A\right)|a''\rangle\langle a''|b'\rangle[/tex]

This is a transformation matrix: [tex]\hat{T}=\langle a''|b'\rangle[/tex]

And so is this: [tex]\hat{T}^*=\langle b''|a'\rangle[/tex].

So then:

[tex]\langle b''|f\left(A\right)|b'\rangle = \hat{T}^* \langle a'|f\left(A\right)|a''\rangle \hat{T}[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No it isn't. In fact, it isn't even a matrix; just an inner product between two states.

What makes you think you are allowed to do this?

Again, not matrices. Also, [itex]\langle a''|b'\rangle^{\dagger}=\langle b'|a''\rangle\neq\langle b''|a'\rangle[/itex]

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3
    If you have [tex]\langle b''|f\left(A\right)|b'\rangle[/tex], why not just insert [tex]\sum_{a'}|a'\rangle\langle a'|[/tex] in there so you can get the eigenvalue of [tex]f(A)[/tex]:

[tex]
    \sum_{a'}\langle b''|f(A)|a'\rangle\langle a'|b'\rangle=\sum_{a'}f(a')\langle b''|a'\rangle\langle a'|b'\rangle
    [/tex]

5. Oct 26, 2009 #4
    Ahhh...I looked at Sakurai a little closer. You're right.

Section 1.5:

"The matrix elements of the U operator are built up of the inner products of old base bras and new base kets."

If Chuck Norris can divide by zero, then I can do that.

6. Oct 26, 2009 #5
    If

[tex]A|a'\rangle=a'|a'\rangle[/tex]

Then

[tex]f\left(A\right)|a'\rangle=f\left(a'\right)|a'\rangle[/tex] ??

I was wondering how that eigenvalue relationship came into play in this problem.

Thanks.

7. Oct 26, 2009 #6
    Yeah, you can prove this by Taylor expanding some function and then applying the ket, for example the exponential function:

[tex]
    \begin{array}{ll}\exp[mA]|a'\rangle&=\left(1+mA+\frac{m^2A^2}{2!}+\cdots\right)|a'\rangle
    \\ \,&=|a'\rangle+mA|a'\rangle+\frac{m^2}{2!}A^2|a'\rangle+\cdots
    \\ \,&=|a'\rangle+ma'|a'\rangle+\frac{m^2}{2!}(a')^2|a'\rangle+\cdots
    \\ \,&=\left(1+ma'+\frac{(ma')^2}{2!}+\cdots\right)|a'\rangle
    \\ \,&=\exp[ma']|a'\rangle
    [/tex]

8. Oct 26, 2009 #7
    So here's what I came up with. Please let me know how it looks:

[tex]\langle b^{(m)}|f\left(A\right)|b^{(n)}\rangle[/tex]

Insert the following:

[tex]\sum_k |a^{(k)}\rangle \langle a^{(k)}|[/tex]
    [tex]\sum_l |a^{(l)}\rangle \langle a^{(l)}|[/tex]

[tex]\sum_k \sum_l \langle b^{(m)}|a^{(k)}\rangle \langle a^{(k)}|f\left(A\right)|a^{(l)}\rangle \langle a^{(l)}|b^{(n)}\rangle [/tex]

[tex]=\sum_k \sum_l f\left(a^{(l)}\right) \langle b^{(m)}|a^{(k)}\rangle \langle a^{(k)}|a^{(l)}\rangle \langle a^{(l)}|b^{(n)}\rangle [/tex]

[tex]=\sum_k \sum_l f\left(a^{(l)}\right) \langle b^{(m)}|a^{(k)}\rangle \delta_{kl} \langle a^{(l)}|b^{(n)}\rangle [/tex]

[tex]=\sum_k f\left(a^{(k)}\right) \langle b^{(m)}|a^{(k)}\rangle \langle a^{(k)}|b^{(n)}\rangle [/tex]

[tex]=\sum_k f\left(a^{(k)}\right) \langle a^{(m)}|U^{\dagger}|a^{(k)}\rangle \langle a^{(k)}|U|a^{(n)}\rangle [/tex]

[tex]=f\left(a^{(k)}\right) \langle a^{(m)}|U^{\dagger}U|a^{(n)}\rangle [/tex]

[tex]=f\left(a^{(k)}\right) \langle a^{(m)}|a^{(n)}\rangle [/tex]

[tex]=f\left(a^{(k)}\right) \delta_{nm} [/tex]

9. Oct 26, 2009 #8
    It looks like you don't actually need to add [tex]|a^{(k)}\rangle\langle a^{(k)}|[/tex] in the above, but otherwise seems fine to me.

10. Oct 26, 2009 #9
    Any ideas on how to do part (b)?

I'm approaching it the same way, with some differences:

[tex]\langle \textbf{p}''|F\left(r\right)|\textbf{p}'\rangle[/tex]

[tex]= \sum_{\textbf{x}'} \sum_{\textbf{x}''}\langle \textbf{p}''|\textbf{x}''\rangle \langle \textbf{x}'' |F\left(r\right)|\textbf{x}'\rangle \langle \textbf{x}'|\textbf{p}'\rangle[/tex]

[tex]\langle \textbf{x}'|\textbf{p}' \rangle = \frac{1}{\left(2\pi\hbar\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}e^{i \frac{\textbf{p}'\cdot\textbf{x}'}{\hbar}}[/tex]

[tex]= \sum_{\textbf{x}'} \sum_{\textbf{x}''}\frac{1}{\left(2\pi\hbar\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}e^{-i \frac{\textbf{p}''\cdot\textbf{x}''}{\hbar}} \langle \textbf{x}'' |F\left(r\right)|\textbf{x}'\rangle \frac{1}{\left(2\pi\hbar\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}e^{i \frac{\textbf{p}'\cdot\textbf{x}'}{\hbar}}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{\left(2\pi\hbar\right)^{3}} \sum_{\textbf{x}'} \sum_{\textbf{x}''}e^{-i \frac{\textbf{p}''\cdot\textbf{x}''}{\hbar}} \langle \textbf{x}'' |F\left(r\right)|\textbf{x}'\rangle e^{i \frac{\textbf{p}'\cdot\textbf{x}'}{\hbar}}[/tex]

Now I'm stuck.

11. Oct 26, 2009 #10
    I guess those sums should be integrals.

12. Oct 26, 2009 #11
    [tex]\frac{1}{\left(2\pi\hbar\right)^{3}} \int \int e^{-i \frac{\textbf{p}''\cdot\textbf{x}''}{\hbar}} \langle \textbf{x}'' |F\left(r\right)|\textbf{x}'\rangle e^{i \frac{\textbf{p}'\cdot\textbf{x}'}{\hbar}}d^3x' d^3x''[/tex]

13. Oct 26, 2009 #12
    Does this work here?

[tex]F(r)|\textbf{x}'\rangle = F(x')|\textbf{x}'\rangle[/tex]

14. Oct 26, 2009 #13
    If it does, then:

[tex]\frac{1}{\left(2\pi\hbar\right)^{3}} \int \int F\left(x'\right)e^{-i \frac{\textbf{p}''\cdot\textbf{x}''}{\hbar}} \langle \textbf{x}'' |\textbf{x}'\rangle e^{i \frac{\textbf{p}'\cdot\textbf{x}'}{\hbar}}d^3x' d^3x''[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{\left(2\pi\hbar\right)^{3}} \int \int F\left(x'\right)e^{-i \frac{\textbf{p}''\cdot\textbf{x}''}{\hbar}} \delta^3\left(\textbf{x}''-\textbf{x}'\right) e^{i \frac{\textbf{p}'\cdot\textbf{x}'}{\hbar}}d^3x' d^3x''[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{\left(2\pi\hbar\right)^{3}} \int F\left(x'\right)e^{-i \frac{\textbf{p}''\cdot\textbf{x}'}{\hbar}} e^{i \frac{\textbf{p}'\cdot\textbf{x}'}{\hbar}}d^3x'[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{\left(2\pi\hbar\right)^{3}} \int F\left(x'\right)e^{-i \frac{\textbf{x}'}{\hbar}\cdot\left(\textbf{p}''-\textbf{p}'\right)}d^3x'[/tex]

15. Oct 26, 2009 #14
    while [tex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex], you can't make this claim. You'l have to solve this integral as a function of [tex]F(\mathbf{r})[/tex]. Also, an integral is also a sum so

[tex]
    \sum_{a'}|a'\rangle\langle a'|=\int|a'\rangle\langle a'|\,da'=1
    [/tex]

Basically your last post has it mostly right, though you can't use [tex]F(x')[/tex]. Expanding the integral for spherical coordinates:

[tex]
    \langle \mathbf{p}''|F(\mathbf{r})|\mathbf{p}'\rangle=\frac{1}{\left(2\pi\hbar\right)^3}\int_0^{2\pi}d\phi'\int_{-1}^1d(\cos\theta)\int_0^\infty (r')^2F(r')\exp\left[\frac{i|\mathbf{p}'-\mathbf{p}''|\cdot\mathbf{r}}{\hbar}\right]\,dr'
    [/tex]

16. Oct 26, 2009 #15
    As before, I don't think you need the double sum. You should just have

[tex]
    \begin{array}{ll}\langle \textbf{p}''|F\left(\mathbf{r}\right)|\textbf{p}'\rangle&= \sum_{\textbf{r}'} \langle \textbf{p}''|F\left(\mathbf{r}\right)|\textbf{r}'\rangle \langle \textbf{r}'|\textbf{p}'\rangle
    \\ &=\sum_{r'}F(\mathbf{r}')\langle\mathbf{p}''|\mathbf{r}'\rangle\langle\mathbf{r}'|\mathbf{p}'\rangle\end{array}
    [/tex]

note the use of [tex]\mathbf{r}[/tex] instead of [tex]\mathbf{x}[/tex] because [tex]F[/tex] is a function of [tex]r[/tex], not [tex]x[/tex].

17. Oct 26, 2009 #16
    Actually, this last line should read

[tex]
    \langle \mathbf{p}''|F(\mathbf{r})|\mathbf{p}'\rangle=\frac{1}{\left(2\pi\hbar\right)^3}\int_0^{2\pi}d\phi\int_{-1}^1d(\cos\theta)\int_0^\infty (r')^2F(r')\exp\left[\frac{i|\mathbf{p}'-\mathbf{p}''|r'\cos\theta}{\hbar}\right]\,dr'
    [/tex]

I just forgot to remove the vector off of [tex]\mathbf{r}'[/tex], but is otherwise correct as is

18. Oct 26, 2009 #17
    Yeah...I made a mistake on this post and since we can't delete them, I'm just erasing it all. You should be fine with what I had written in posts 15 and 16.

19. Oct 27, 2009 #18
    When I say [tex]\textbf{x}[/tex], I mean [tex]\textbf{x}=x\hat{\textbf{x}}+y\hat{\textbf{y}}+z\hat{\textbf{z}}[/tex]

And [tex]\textbf{x}'=x'\hat{\textbf{x}}+y'\hat{\textbf{y}}+z'\hat{\textbf{z}}[/tex]

20. Oct 27, 2009 #19
    So evaluate this:

[tex]\langle\mathbf{p}''|F(\mathbf{r})|\mathbf{p}'\rangle=\frac{1}{\left(2\pi\hbar\right)^3}\int_0^{2\pi}d\phi\int_{-1}^1d(\cos\theta)\int_0^\infty (r')^2F(r')\exp\left[\frac{i|\mathbf{p}'-\mathbf{p}'|r'\cos\theta}{\hbar}\right]\,dr'[/tex]

And get this:

[tex]\langle\mathbf{p}''|F(\mathbf{r})|\mathbf{p}'\rangle=\frac{4\pi}{\left(2\pi\hbar\right)^3} \int_0^\infty (r')^2F(r')\exp\left[\frac{i|\mathbf{p}'-\mathbf{p}'|r'\cos\theta}{\hbar}\right]\,dr'[/tex]

What next? integrate by parts?

21. Oct 27, 2009 #20
    Looks like integrating by parts will get rid of the exponential leaving me something in terms of [tex]F(r')[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook