1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sakurai 1.32

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the expectation value of p and p² using the momentum-space wave function

2. Relevant equations

Momentum-space wave function:

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{d}{\hbar\sqrt{\pi}}}e^{\frac{-\left(p'-\hbar k\right)^2d^2}{2\hbar^2}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I can get [tex]\langle p \rangle [/tex], so that's not a problem.

[tex]\langle p^2 \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\sqrt{\frac{d}{\hbar\sqrt{\pi}}}e^{\frac{-\left(p'-\hbar k\right)^2d^2}{2\hbar^2}}p'^2\sqrt{\frac{d}{\hbar\sqrt{\pi}}}e^{\frac{-\left(p'-\hbar k\right)^2d^2}{2\hbar^2}}dp'[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{d}{\hbar\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{\frac{-\left(p'-\hbar k\right)^2d^2}{2\hbar^2}}p'^2e^{\frac{-\left(p'-\hbar k\right)^2d^2}{2\hbar^2}}dp'[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{d}{\hbar\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{\frac{-\left(p'-\hbar k\right)^2d^2}{\hbar^2}}p'^2dp'[/tex]

This has the form:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-a\left(x-b\right)^2}xdx = b\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}[/tex]

So I'll integrate it by parts:

[tex]u=p'[/tex]
    [tex]du=dp'[/tex]
    [tex]dv=e^{\frac{-\left(p'-\hbar k\right)^2d^2}{\hbar^2}}p' dp'[/tex]
    [tex]v=\hbar k\frac{\hbar}{d}\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

[tex]p'\hbar k\frac{\hbar}{d}\sqrt{\pi}|_{-\infty}^{\infty}-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\hbar k\frac{\hbar}{d}\sqrt{\pi}dp'[/tex]

[tex]=p'\hbar k\frac{\hbar}{d}\sqrt{\pi}|_{-\infty}^{\infty}-p'\hbar k\frac{\hbar}{d}\sqrt{\pi}|_{-\infty}^{\infty}=0[/tex]

But it should be:

[tex]\langle p^2 \rangle = \frac{\hbar^2}{2d^2}+\left(\hbar k\right)^2[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No it doesn't. It has the form

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-a\left(x-b\right)^2}x^2dx[/tex]

4. Oct 28, 2009 #3
    What I meant was I could get it to that form by integrating by parts. However, doing so resulted in zero.

The trick for this problem is this:

[tex]x^2=x^2-2bx+b^2+2bx-b^2=\left(x-b\right)^2+2bx-b^2[/tex]

Then

[tex]c\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x^2e^{-a(x-b)^2}dx=c\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\left(x-b\right)^2+2bx-b^2\right)e^{-a(x-b)^2}dx[/tex]

Expand that and there will be integrals that can be looked up in tables. Do the algebra, and get the correct answer.

5. Oct 28, 2009 #4
    Hmm, I'm not sure about that substitution there (for instance, why is it only applied to the leading [tex]x^2[/tex] term and not the [tex]e^{-a(x-b)^2}[/tex] term?

Anyways, the reason I'm responding is there is an integral of this form in Griffiths QM, problem 1.3c, which is to find [tex]<x^2>[/tex] of the function:

[tex]\rho(x) = Ae^{-\lambda(x-a)^2}[/tex]

Which is obviously the same integral. The way you are proposing is a lot of work-- I think the quick way is to differentiate both sides of the known result of the integral without the [tex]x^2[/tex]... I believe this is called Leibniz' rule? (not sure, correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyways, it looks like this, and I thought it was pretty cool.

You know (can calculate):

[tex]\int^\infty_{-\infty} e^{-\lambda x^2} dx = (\dfrac{\pi}{\lambda})^\dfrac{1}{2}[/tex]

Now if you differentiate both sides wrt lambda:

[tex]=> \dfrac{\partial}{\partial\lambda} \int^\infty_{-\infty} e^{-\lambda x^2} dx = \dfrac{\partial}{\partial\lambda} (\dfrac{\pi}{\lambda})^\dfrac{1}{2}[/tex]

[tex] => \int^\infty_{-\infty} x^2 e^{-\lambda x^2} dx = \dfrac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2\lambda^{ \small\dfrac{3}{2} }}[/tex]

And, if you can look past my horrible latex exponent skills, the answer just pops right out!

I think its pretty cool.

Edit to add: Oh, I see what you did there with the x^2 term. Hmm, that integral seems more complicated than the one you started with to me!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  6. Oct 29, 2009 #5
    I could not find this integral in an integral table:

[tex]
    c\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x^2e^{-a(x-b)^2}dx
    [/tex]

However, if I break it up, like this:

[tex]c\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\left(x-b\right)^2+2bx-b^2\right)e^{-a(x-b)^2}dx[/tex]

Each of those can be done (that is, "looked up") . And I already worked it all out and got the correct answer. I'll post it here when I get a chance so the next poor unsuspecting sap trying to figure this out may find this in a search and will have a glimmer of hope that life isn't just about doom and gloom.

7. Oct 29, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you are curious as to how to actually perform the integrations yourself (as opposed to looking them up in tables), just make the substitution [itex]\overline{x}=\sqrt{a}(x-b)[/itex], use integration by parts, and the following trick:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-\overline{x}^2}d\overline{x}=\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-\overline{x}^2}d\overline{x}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-\overline{y}^2}d\overline{y}\right)^{1/2}=\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-(\overline{x}^2+\overline{y}^2)}d\overline{x}d\overline{y}\right)^{1/2}=\left(\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{2\pi}e^{-\overline{r}^2}\overline{r}d\overline{r}d\overline{\theta}\right)^{1/2}=\sqrt{2\pi}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook