Is This the Correct Solution for Sakurai Ch 2 Problem 14.b?

• Thread starter malawi_glenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sakurai
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving the Schrödinger equation for a one-dimensional harmonic oscillator and deriving the equation for the momentum-space wave function. The individual asking the question is looking for confirmation on their answer and mentions finding similar solutions online. Another person confirms that the answer provided is correct.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider a one-dim harm osc; start with the Schrödinger equation (SE) for the state vector, then derive the SE for the momentum-space wave function.

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is this, all primed letters are numbers (as in sakurai notation). Its going to take a while for me to do all my steps, so before I do all that; I just want to see if someone here can confirm my answer as the right one (sakurai is a popular book to teach from). If it is now the correct answer, I will post all the steps I've done so you guys can put me in right direction. Thanx in advance physics fellows!

[tex] \left(\dfrac{(p')^2}{2m} - \dfrac{\hbar ^2 \omega ^2 m }{2} \dfrac{\partial^{2}}{(\partial p')^2} \right) \psi _{\alpha}(p') = i \hbar \dfrac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi _{\alpha}(p') [/tex]

I have found many answers to sakurai on the web, but not to this one; and our teacher said that this was a good problem to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks correct to me.

cristo said:
That looks correct to me.

Thanx a lot for your answer!

1. What is the problem statement for Sakurai ch 2 problem 14.b?

The problem statement is to find the expectation value of a Hamiltonian operator for a given wavefunction in a one-dimensional potential well.

2. What is the significance of this problem in quantum mechanics?

This problem is significant because it helps us understand the concept of expectation values and their relationship to the Hamiltonian operator, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

3. What is the approach to solving this problem?

The approach to solving this problem involves using the Schrödinger equation to find the wavefunction, and then using the definition of expectation values to calculate the expectation value of the Hamiltonian operator.

4. Are there any assumptions made in this problem?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made in this problem, such as the potential well being infinite in depth and the wavefunction being normalized.

5. How can this problem be applied in real-world scenarios?

This problem can be applied in real-world scenarios, such as calculating the energy levels of a particle in a potential well, which has practical applications in fields such as materials science and quantum computing.