Sakurai Ch.3 Pr.6 - Commutation Rules & Angular Momentum

• Thread starter J.D.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sakurai
In summary: G_j , G_j = - \frac{J_j}{\hbar} G_i , G_k = - \frac{J_k}{\hbar} G_j In summary, the commutation relations for angular momentum operators are satisfied by the following:-G_i, G_j=-iG_j, -iG_i, -iG_k-G_k, G_j=-\frac{J_j}{\hbar}G_k, -\frac{J_k}{\hbar}G_j
J.D.
[SOLVED] Sakurai Ch.3 Pr.6

Homework Statement

Let [tex] U = \text{e}^{i G_3 \alpha} \text{e}^{i G_2 \beta} \text{e}^{i G_3 \gamma}[/tex], where [tex] ( \alpha , \beta , \gamma ) [/tex] are the Eulerian angles. In order that [tex] U [/tex] represent a rotation [tex] ( \alpha , \beta , \gamma ) [/tex], what are the commutation rules satisfied by [tex] G_k [/tex]? Relate [tex] \mathbf{G} [/tex] to the angular momentum operators.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to start here. In chapter 3.3 they represent rotation with Euler angles by 2x2 matrices but I don't think that's what I'm supposed to use. Instead I would guess that if [tex] U [/tex] is supposed to be a rotation operator then it has to be an element of either SO(3) or SU(3). Then from the fact that it belongs to one of these groups, one would hopefully get the desired commutation relations.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so I've gone over this problem like a hundred times and finally settled for an approach to the problem.

From what I gather it is most simple to look at an infinitesimal rotation, we know that we can write an infinitesimal rotation as:

[tex] \mathcal{D} ( d \theta ) = \left( 1 + i \mathbf{J} \cdot \hat{n} d \theta \right) [/tex]

Where [tex] \mathbf{J} [/tex] is an Hermitian operator and [tex] \hat{n} [/tex] is the axis of rotation. Now if we look at the case of rotation by Euler angles, then each angle [tex] \alpha , \beta , \gamma [/tex] respectively "represents" a rotation about an axis. From this and the fact that rotations are closed under their binary operation we can write [tex] U [/tex] as a product of 3 infinitesimal rotations. Thus we write

[tex] U ( dR )= \left( 1 + i G_3 d \alpha \right) \left( 1 + i G_2 d \beta \right) \left( 1 + i G_3 d \gamma \right) [/tex]

Now we consider two rotations following upon each other, from the geometry of 3-D objects we know that 2 rotations do not necessarily commute. Therefore it seems appropriate to examine the following

[tex] U ( dR ) U ( dR' ) - U ( dR' ) U ( dR ) [/tex]

So that is what I am doing now. I'll get back with what I find as soon as I've finished the calculations. If anyone see any flaws in my reasoning, please point them out.

Ok, I think I've finally come up with an acceptable solution. Here goes.

We know that we can write an infinitesimal rotation [itex] R ( d \theta )[/itex] as

[tex] R ( d \theta ) = 1 + i \mathbf{J} \cdot \hat{ \mathbf{n} } d \theta [/tex]. (1)

We also know that if R is an operator generating equations it must fullfill the following relations

[tex] R _i ( \epsilon ) R _j ( \epsilon ) - R _j ( \epsilon ) R _i ( \epsilon ) = R_k ( \epsilon ^2 ) - 1 [/tex], (2)

where i,j,k=x,y,z and [itex] \epsilon [/itex] is an infinitesimal angle.
Now remember that for Euler angles, [itex] \alpha , \beta , \gamma [/itex] represents rotations about the z,y and z axes respectively. Then it follows that in order for

[tex] U ( \alpha , \beta , \gamma ) = \text{e}^{i G_3 \alpha} \text{e}^{i G_2 \beta} \text{e}^{i G_3 \gamma} [/tex] (3)

to be an operator generating rotations it has to satisfy eq. (2). Evaluating an infinitesimal rotation [itex] \epsilon [/itex] about the y- and z-axes we find that (ignoring terms of higher order than [itex] \epsilon ^3 [/itex])

[tex] U( 0 , \epsilon , \epsilon ) U( \epsilon , \epsilon , 0) - U( \epsilon , \epsilon , 0 ) U( 0 , \epsilon , \epsilon ) = 1 - [G_2,G_3] \epsilon ^2 - 1 + \mathcal{O}( \epsilon ^3 ) [/tex] (4)

Now comparing (4) with (2) we notice that [itex] 1- [G_2,G_3] \epsilon ^2 [/itex] must represent a rotation about the x-axis with an infinitesimal angle [itex] \epsilon ^2 [/itex]. We get that

[tex] [G_2,G_3] = -i G_1 [/tex],

where [itex] G_1 [/itex] is a generator of rotations about the x-axis.
Repeating the same argument about other axes we find the following commutation relations:

[tex] [G_i, G_j] = - i \varepsilon _{ijk} G_k [/tex].

Comparing these to the commutation relations for the angular momentum operators we find that

[tex] G_i = - \frac{J_i}{\hbar} [/tex]

1. What are commutation rules?

Commutation rules are mathematical rules that describe how two operators, corresponding to two different physical quantities, behave when they are applied to the same physical system. These rules determine whether or not the operators commute, which means they can be applied in any order, or if they do not commute, meaning their order matters.

2. How do commutation rules relate to angular momentum?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is described by the operators for the components of angular momentum - Lx, Ly, and Lz. The commutation rules for these operators determine how the components of angular momentum behave when they are applied to a physical system. The non-commutativity of these operators leads to the famous uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of commutation rules in quantum mechanics?

Commutation rules are essential in quantum mechanics because they help us understand the behavior of physical systems at the microscopic level. They also play a crucial role in determining the eigenvalues and eigenstates of operators, which are used to describe the energy levels and properties of quantum systems.

4. How are commutation rules different from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, physical quantities always commute, meaning their order does not matter. However, in quantum mechanics, this is not the case. The commutation rules for operators in quantum mechanics can lead to uncertainty and indeterminacy, which are not present in classical mechanics.

5. Can the commutation rules for different operators be derived?

Yes, the commutation rules for different operators can be derived mathematically using the principles of quantum mechanics. This involves defining the operators, determining their algebraic properties, and then using these properties to calculate their commutators. These commutation rules have been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments and are an essential part of our understanding of quantum mechanics.