What is the Sakurai Equation (1.6.26) and how is it used in quantum mechanics?

• Thread starter Bill Foster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sakurai
In summary, according to Sakurai, if you choose dx' in the direction of \hat{\textbf{x}}_j , you get:dx\hat{\textbf{x}}_jIf you form the scalar product with \hat{\textbf{x}}_i, you get:\langle dx\hat{\textbf{x}}_j|\hat{\textbf{x}}_i \rangle = dx\delta_{ij}
Bill Foster

Homework Statement

This isn't a homework problem. I am reading Sakurai (Modern Quantum Mechanics) and came upon this:

We must therefore have an operator identity

[tex]\left[\textbf{x},\hat{T}\left(d\textbf{x}'\right)\right]=d\textbf{x}'[/tex] (1.6.25)

or

[tex]-i\textbf{xK}\cdot d\textbf{x}'+i\textbf{K}\cdot d\textbf{x}'\textbf{x}=d\textbf{x}'[/tex] (1.6.26)

The Attempt at a Solution

When I work that out:

[tex]\left[\textbf{x},\hat{T}\left(d\textbf{x}' \right)\right]=\textbf{x}\left(1-i\textbf{K}\cdot d\textbf{x}' \right)-\left(1-i\textbf{K}\cdot d\textbf{x}' \right)\textbf{x}[/tex]

[tex]=-i\textbf{xK}\cdot d\textbf{x}'+i\textbf{K}\cdot d\textbf{x}'\textbf{x}[/tex]

[tex]=i\left(\textbf{K}\cdot d\textbf{x}'\textbf{x}-\textbf{xK}\cdot d\textbf{x}' \right)[/tex]

[tex]=d\textbf{x}'[/tex]

I'm not seeing how they get [tex]d\textbf{x}'[/tex] out of that.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only way I can see how that work is if the following is true:

[tex]\textbf{Kx}-\textbf{xK}=\left[\textbf{K},\textbf{x}\right]=-i[/tex]

Any insight on this?

Are x and dx' vectors? If so, it also seems to require that dx' and x are in the same direction?

According to Sakurai, x has elements x, y, and z.

Equation 1.6.25 was derived by considering the effect of the commutator on an arbitrary position eigenket, 1.6.26 is derived from this result by using the definition of the translation operator eq. 1.6.20.

gabbagabbahey said:
Equation 1.6.25 was derived by considering the effect of the commutator on an arbitrary position eigenket, 1.6.26 is derived from this result by using the definition of the translation operator eq. 1.6.20.

I know that.

[tex]\hat{\textbf{T}}\left(d\textbf{x}'\right)=1-i\textbf{K}\cdot d\textbf{x}'[/tex] (1.6.20)

I plugged that into (1.6.25) to work out the commutator. Sakurai claims it is [tex]d\textbf{x}'[/tex], but as you can see, when I work it out, I do not understand how that claim is true.

It's true because of eqs. 1.6.23 and 1.6.24...I don't understand the source of your confusion here. If you agree that eq. 1.6.25 is true, and also that 1.6.20 is true, then 1.6.26 must also be true...it is basic logic.

gabbagabbahey said:
It's true because of eqs. 1.6.23 and 1.6.24...I don't understand the source of your confusion here. If you agree that eq. 1.6.25 is true, and also that 1.6.20 is true, then 1.6.26 must also be true...it is basic logic.

My confusion is in working out the commutator; using (1.6.26) to verify that (1.6.25) is true.

But I guess (1.6.26) wasn't meant to be used to verify (1.6.25).

How about the next part? The text says:

By choosing dx' in the direction of [itex]\hat{\textbf{x}}_j[/itex] and forming the scalar product with [itex]\hat{\textbf{x}}_i[/itex], we obtain

[tex]\left[x_i,K_j\right]=i\delta_{ij}[/tex] (1.6.27)

I do not know how they come up with (1.6.27) either.

If I choose dx' in the direction of [itex]\hat{\textbf{x}}_j[/itex] , I get:

[tex]dx\hat{\textbf{x}}_j[/tex]

If I form the scalar product with [itex]\hat{\textbf{x}}_i[/itex], I get:

[tex]\langle dx\hat{\textbf{x}}_j|\hat{\textbf{x}}_i \rangle = dx\delta_{ij}[/tex]

How do I get (1.6.27) from that?

1.6.27 comes from 1.6.26...

[tex]-i\textbf{xK}\cdot d\textbf{x}'+i\textbf{K}\cdot d\textbf{x}'\textbf{x}=d\textbf{x}'[/tex]

Using the Einstein summation convention, [itex]\textbf{K}\cdot d\textbf{x}'=K_jdx'_j[/itex] and your equation becomes

[tex]-i\textbf{x}K_jdx'_j+iK_jdx'_j\textbf{x}=d\textbf{x}'[/tex]

So, each component satisfies,

[tex]-ix_kK_jdx'_j+iK_jdx'_jx_k=-ix_kK_jdx'_j+iK_jx_kdx'_j=dx'_k[/tex]

(the second step is because [itex][x_k,dx'_j]=0[/itex]) and you should be able to take i from here.

1. What is the Sakurai Equation (1.6.26)?

The Sakurai Equation (1.6.26) is a mathematical formula developed by Japanese physicist Jun Sakurai in his book "Advanced Quantum Mechanics". It is used to describe the behavior of quantum mechanical systems and is commonly used in the study of quantum mechanics and quantum field theory.

2. What does the Sakurai Equation (1.6.26) represent?

The Sakurai Equation (1.6.26) represents the time evolution of a quantum mechanical system. It describes how the state of the system changes over time and is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

3. How is the Sakurai Equation (1.6.26) derived?

The Sakurai Equation (1.6.26) is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum state. By taking into account the Hamiltonian operator and applying the time-dependent perturbation theory, Sakurai was able to derive this equation.

4. What are the key components of the Sakurai Equation (1.6.26)?

The Sakurai Equation (1.6.26) consists of three main components: the Hamiltonian operator, the state vector, and the time derivative of the state vector. The Hamiltonian operator represents the total energy of the system, the state vector represents the quantum state of the system, and the time derivative of the state vector represents the change in the state over time.

5. How is the Sakurai Equation (1.6.26) used in practical applications?

The Sakurai Equation (1.6.26) is used in many practical applications, such as in the study of quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and quantum information science. It has also been used in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.